Initial impressions of new Rolly Tasker sails

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
lsheaf
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Stardust
Boat Type: Allied Seawind 30

Initial impressions of new Rolly Tasker sails

Post by lsheaf »

I just received 4 new sails from Rolly Tasker sails, designed and built in Thailand.

Rolly covered shipping from Thailand to Florida as well as shipping to a freight forwarder in Florida.
That was very much appreciated and saved me a lot of money. The package was almost 90 pounds.

All sails were constructed to their “offshore specifications”

The grommet on the head of the staysail was split in half and the leather on the leech was split from the grommet being pressed into place.
I haven’t had a chance to layout the sail completely and inspect every single grommet but I’m very disappointed with that.

The mainsail slugs are all thin cheap nylon.

The mizzen sail has multiple stainless steel slugs.

All of the leech lines cleats are cheap nylon plastic.

The sail cloth seems to be good quality and stitching looks heavy duty.

Maybe the extra money I would have spent on a premium brand like Quantum or Doyle will now go towards a new sewing machine and hardware to reinforce my new sails :lol:

I did send an email to the supplier expressing my concerns with the construction of the sails.

I will post an update on how they handle the issue.
Last edited by lsheaf on Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lsheaf
Master Varnisher

Re: Initial impressions of new Rolly Tasker sails

Post by lsheaf »

Pictures:
Attachments
376C025D-9DC8-4BF2-8373-27846D4A0A9A.jpeg
E2CA31C3-0915-48B6-9F44-6A53CD2D9F75.jpeg
lsheaf
Master Varnisher

Post by lsheaf »

Update:

I finally got around to raising my new set of sails last weekend.

To recap on the staysail grommet included in the original post, the loft manager offered to pay to have the sail repaired locally. I’m happy enough with that.

The mainsail was cut perfectly and fits well.

The mizzen sails foot was cut 4.5 inches too long and did not fit. At first, I was concerned I mismeasured something but looked back at the final sail design plan to confirm. What happened was my foot measurement was to be 9Ft .5” and they read 9Ft 5”.
It was probably partially my fault, maybe I should have just indicted 9FT for less confusion. Im not sure the .5” makes too much difference.

I quickly sent off an email explaining how the sail doesn’t fit properly. The agent responded and said they will have to remake the sail free of charge.
He did ask for the sail back but will cover the shipping cost back to Florida.

In the end, I’m pretty happy with the sails and am impressed with how they dealt with the problem. It was easy and they didn’t give me a hard time.
I was worried, since it is considered a discount sail loft, that I would have been left high and dry.

If you want specific quality slugs or slides I would recommend specifying that ahead of time. Otherwise you can’t beat the cost and quality compared to a more expensive brand like Quantum (my old sails were quantum). Being in the Caribbean, I’m not sure if the extra cost can be justified if the sun is just going to eat the sail up fast anyway.
lsheaf
Master Varnisher

Post by lsheaf »

Update:
I just received the new mizzen sail

This time it was cut to my specified dimension and fits perfectly. I also asked if they could cut the sail a bit flatter than the previous. They did a very nice job flattening the sail out.

I will be buying a code zero and mizzen staysail from them in the near future.