Hebridean WindVane

This is the place for information on the important systems on your boat, including sails, rigging, engines (if applicable), and other systems.
vanguard64
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Alegría
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Hebridean WindVane

Post by vanguard64 »

I have been studying sailboat self-steering wind vanes and came across the use and DIY fabrication of the Hebridean Wind Vane. Has anyone had any experience building or using one? Any thoughts as to whether it is worth pursuing? I have a tiller pilot presently, but it would be great if I could save some amps.
I would be using it for coastal cruising, at least for the foreseeable future.
Thanks for the input.
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Hebridean WindVane

Post by atomvoyager »

I've also seen it described online but don't know anyone who made and used one. From the videos you see it can work but looks fragile and awkward to use and maintain compared to say the Windpilot Pacific or Pacific Light. It is clever though and may be suitable for those who want a DIY windvane for the satisfaction of building their own. It's much cheaper than a production unit. But it could take a long time to put together and work out all the bugs on sea trials so most folks would be better off working their regular job to buy something ready to go without spending much time on it. If you're unemployed and enjoy this type of project than it makes more sense to give it a try. But you still might be better off trying to find a reasonable priced used production windvane. I recently sold a used Cape Horn windvane for $900 so you may find something out there on ebay or the forums. Here's a link to a video on the Hebridean. There's some discussion of it in the video comments and links to more info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkT27vR6yoM
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

I don't have experience with it but this might be a good low cost windvane option:
https://south-atlantic.com.ar/windvane/ ... ng301.html
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

I've not seen that one in person. Several years back there was an outfit in Europe which had a DIY kit form vane - Mr Vane maybe...? I'd have to research to be sure. Anyway, wondering if this is that, or an offshoot? Thx for the heads up. :)
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429 <- Home!
Katie Marie, Ariel #422 <- Soon Home!
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal) <- For Sale

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...
vanguard64
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Alegría
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Post by vanguard64 »

In looking further at the more mainstream wind vanes I see that construction materials are either SS or aluminum. What is the expected longevity of the aluminum types compared to those made of SS? What attributes should a good wind vane possess?