Need Suggestions for Summering in Maine

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
triton318
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Dove
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Need Suggestions for Summering in Maine

Post by triton318 »

I'm seriously considering spending next summer in Maine. I would sail up from Virginia, arriving around June 1, and spend three months there. I can't stand the summer heat in Virginia any longer! My ideal summer daytime weather is about 75 degrees, sunny, moderate to low humidity, and a nice breeze.

I work from "home" as an instructional designer, so I would need to stay at a marina that has high-speed Internet service. Groceries and laundry within a bike ride's distance would be a requirement. I would rather be in or near a small town as opposed to a large town or city. I do plan to do some sailing, but since I'll be using vacation time to sail up there and back in September, my sailing will be limited to weekends.

So...I know there are a few people on this forum from Maine -- any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.
Jay
Dove, Pearson Triton #318
Hayes, VA
preserved_killick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Seagrass
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Re: Need Suggestions for Summering in Maine

Post by preserved_killick »

Hi Jay,

I too need high speed internet for work, and I've not found a marina/ boatyard in Maine that has a wifi signal good enough for work, especially from the boat. The further down east you go the worse it gets. In Maine, most of the marinas/boatyards are small operations and keeping a good wireless signal is not a priority. You would be much better off getting your own internet through a mobile broadband service like Verizon.

I keep my boat in Boothbay Harbor, and get good enough speeds tethering from my cell phone (verizon). There's two cell towers nearby. As you go further north, cell and internet coverage is really drops off from my experience. I just came back from a trip and had good cell/internet in Camden, and Bar Harbor, but not much of anything for much of Penobscot Bay.

Casco Bay, near Portland I bet you could get great coverage

In my opinion, the coastline south of Casco Bay is a little boring. From Boothbay north the boating is much more interesting, with many islands, harbors and places to explore.

Good Luck!
1965 Alberg 30 #116
http://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie
okawbow
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Thursdays' Child
Boat Type: Privateer 26 Schooner

Post by okawbow »

We spend most of July in the Penobscot bay area. It's a great area to spend the summer. Lots of activities on weekends, and great sailing. The marinas are very expensive. You can stay on a mooring for cheap, but need a good dingy. We got 3G on the phone in the Searsport/ Camden area. Searsport is a nice little town, with stores and resturants within walking distance. You can anchor free near the town dock. Rockland is a great town also, but the internet is spotty.
Chuck
1976 Bristol 24
"Harmony"
Tom Young

Post by Tom Young »

Speaking for my area, I wonder if you could move a bit? Perhaps take your time coming up working from various harbors that can supply internet? You'll get the best weather that way, June is iffy in Maine.

In the Penobscot Bay and surrounding areas, you might also move around a bit for weather and change of pace. If you can get off the boat to work, there are many options in my neighborhood, Rockport and Camden Libraries. Nice places to work! Also free wifi in my harbor, Rockport Harbor Park. Camden has some cafe's that are good places to work.

Both Camden and Rockport are only good for short term anchoring or the right weather. You could work there for the day, head to nearby snug anchorages for the night.

Rockland may have some harbor access you can get and it's a good anchorage. It's about the only potential for the whole season I can think of where you could just stay put. It has everything you need nearby and moorings are as affordable as you'll find.

Out in the islands, you can work on North Haven at the community center. Either take a mooring or even anchor in Perry Creek and dinghy(with an outboard) to North haven. You could stay there as long as you like if you can figure out the "commute"

Same can be done in Northeast Harbor with library access, likely a cafe' or two. There are many other areas, Belfast, Bucks Harbor, that you can mix up moorings, anchor yourself, even throw in an occasional dock space.

You'll get to see a lot of areas, have to sail(darn), and get a working vacation.
Hulukupu
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

I'll echo Tom's suggestion to consider use of a public library and their free wifi. Southwest Harbor has the nicest library I've ever been in. If you need a marina environment in walking distance, there is Dysarts that also advertises wifi at their slips.
David