Chesapeake Bay flotilla August 12 to 15.

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
radicalcy
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: AllAboutMe
Boat Type: Columbia 8.7

Chesapeake Bay flotilla August 12 to 15.

Post by radicalcy »

To all and sundry Central Chesapeake Bay Skippers:SV Pogo, a Columbia 9.6 and SV AllAboutMe, a Columbia 8.7 will be departing Deltaville, Broad Creek, on Friday August 12, and returning Monday August 15.
Current plan is to sail, or motor, to Onancock on the Eastern Shore. Additional anchorages if time and weather permit.
Anyone that wants to join the flotilla is welcome. There is plenty of anchorage space in Onancock. Other possibilities include Cape Charles (city marina); Mill Creek off Ingram Bay(Great Wicomico River)fantastic anchoring , and Tangier Island. (Parks Marina, $25 to 30 a night, electric $5 extra.

Mill Creek: Marker Position
37°47.626'N,76°20.233'W you can plug this into EarthNC and it will take you right there.
All of the above are day sails, no more than 6 hours (Cape Charles) .

Email and mention Bay Flotilla in your subject line, or respond to this post for more info.

Radicalcy AT yahoo dot com.

Larry Wilson
Larry Wilson
Columbia 8.7
Columbia Sabre
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Re: Chesapeake Bay flotilla August 12 to 15.

Post by Ric in Richmond »

So...how was it???
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
radicalcy

Post by radicalcy »

Well....I couldn't go. Bladder infection and the wife fell going down the steps Thursday morning...so I cancelled. The other boat did however make the trip.
Here's his report:

Friday night was a dream, sailed across in moonlight on flat water at 5 kts one a single tack beam reach, wind dying out as I got into Onancock Ck.
Everything worked flawlessly, the night was beautiful, and just could not have been better.
Motored into the creek with out much trouble, just nearly missed one mark, since there are so many its easy to lose count.
Anchored at Marker 34, a little cove in some rich guy's front view.
Woke up, had b'fast, got the engine started and anchor up, then noticed gremlins had killed the electrical system.
Seemed like anything I turned on would send the battery voltage below drop out level, and the electronics would die out.
Motored to Town Dock in Onancock, tied up briefly to check fuses and charging system, afraid to shut down the engine for fear would not be able to restart.
Decided the alternator was charging (slightly), and that I needed to be in DVL to work on this problem, so started out back across bay.
Wind was up from S, with big square-topped waves, so beat across that, giving leeway to the north, coming to Great Wicomico entrance. Decided I should work my way south toward WM Pt, since I was not sure I could burn a mooring light, even.
Had to give up the struggle before reaching WM Pt, and went into Little Bay to moor with 4 other boats from DVL. Beat and cold from being wet, turned in for night at sundown, and awoke to flatter water in the anchorage, but noticeable whine to the wind.
Weighed anchor and left mooring, noticing that the other boats had the same idea, so we sailed in loose formation out to see what was up in the Bay. My fall back plan was to turn back and go into Dymer Ck. if it was not passable conditions.
It was really slow going to get down to WM Pt., taking 8-1/2 hours to get to Broad Ck.
Larry Wilson
Columbia 8.7
Columbia Sabre
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Been that kind of summer hasn't it???

Richmond dinner soon..!!!!
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
radicalcy

Post by radicalcy »

Post a date, I'll do my best to be there.
Larry Wilson
Columbia 8.7
Columbia Sabre
ILikeRust
Boat Name: Grizabella
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Post by ILikeRust »

Keep me in the loop, too, please!

Once I get my boat wet again, we'll have to do a little flotilla-ette or something.
Bill T.
Richmond, VA

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." - T E Lawrence