Doing the dream with little money

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
okawbow
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Thursdays' Child
Boat Type: Privateer 26 Schooner

Doing the dream with little money

Post by okawbow »

Is it possible to do a cruise with minimal funds? Well, it certainly is, and I,m living proof.

For years, my wife and I looked at boats online and in print, dreaming of taking a "big" trip. It can get old sailing the same lake. I said several times; we could buy that boat, fix it up, sail it on our big trip, and sell it when we are done.

One day we noticed a Cheoy Lee ketch on the hard at our marina in southern Illinois. I told my wife that it would be a good boat for our dream trip down the rivers to the Gulf, and then to Key West and up the east coast to Maine. Well, as we were looking at the boat, someone told us it was for sale at a good price. We bought the boat, worked on it for a year, and put it in the water for trials. This spring, after working on the boat all winter, including a motor rebuild, we launched at Kentucky Lake dam. Over 3 months later, and 3500 total miles, including 1800 offshore; we ended our trip in Penobscot Bay n Maine. We sold the boat and recovered some of our money. ( you never get it all back, or paid for your time).

It's been a fantastic trip! We've learned more about sailing, anchoring, docking, tides, currents, navigation, and living aboard than I could have imagined.

Dreams can be reality with enough hard work. You don't have to have a lot of money to do something worthwhile.
Chuck
1976 Bristol 24
"Harmony"
captphil416
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Deep Blue
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Doing the dream with little money

Post by captphil416 »

Congratulations Chuck: Your voyage is an inspiration to us all. Hope you keep up the good work and kep us posted. fair Winds Phil
Paulus
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Guillemot
Boat Type: Mariner Ketch

Post by Paulus »

Congrats... I am contemplating doing the same trip - Great Loop - starting in NY Harbor - up and around Maine (St Lawrence), the Great Lakes, Ohio and Mississippi into the gulf, around Florida, up the East coast and back to NY Harbor...

You did half that in three months, averaging 38 miles per day - I would take a lot longer - certainly hang in places a few days to stop and smell the roses.... Summer up north, winter down south - take the whole year.
okawbow

Post by okawbow »

It will be tough to get back to my other world after living aboard and waking up every morning to places I only dreamed about before. I'm still on the boat for a couple more days, as I get it cleaned up for the owner. Yesterday, I shipped 14 packages of personal stuff home.

We were very fortunate to have good weather for most of the trip. Most of the longer offshore passages were relatively easy except for a couple rough days. I did get knocked down at anchor in Alabama when the tornados came through. I also had to lay over a few days because of flooding.

I think Maine was my favorite cruising ground. We spent 3 weeks here. The Keys were good too, with the clear water and wildlife.

The boat is in better shape now than when we left. I think a small ketch is just aboat ideal for my kind of cruising. Offshore, we often sailed jib and mizzen. The mizzen also helps when anchoring.

Already planning my next adventure as soon as I can save up enough time.
Chuck
1976 Bristol 24
"Harmony"
pjesus
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Jet Lag
Boat Type: 1982 B-Jet

Post by pjesus »

Living the dream indeed. So nice to hear these stories, especially when I have to get back to work tomorrow :)
Well, at least in the next few weeks we have the America's Cup here, not too bad.

I'm sure you have lots of pictures, you could show them and let us dream too :)
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I'd like to do the inner loop: Hudson, Erie Canal, Great Lakes, the Mississippi, the Gulf, Florida, and ICW home. But it'd have to be on a powerboat, I think. Too slow on a sailboat, not to mention pulling the stick multiple times.

Perhaps when we buy our 'terminal trawler'.
okawbow

Post by okawbow »

Quetzalsailor wrote:I'd like to do the inner loop: Hudson, Erie Canal, Great Lakes, the Mississippi, the Gulf, Florida, and ICW home. But it'd have to be on a powerboat, I think. Too slow on a sailboat, not to mention pulling the stick multiple times.

Perhaps when we buy our 'terminal trawler'.
When we were in Ft Pierce, Fl, we saw a trawler that was rigged as a ketch, with short masts on tabernacles. It looked like both masts could be lowered or raised in minutes. I'm sure it wouldn't sail well, but the sails would help with the longer passages across lakes and open water.

We found our short mast clearance( 38') a definate advantage when we wanted to explore.

I'm not sure I could ever go to strictly power. My most memorable and satisfying times were well offshore, and under sail alone.
Chuck
1976 Bristol 24
"Harmony"