Plastic Classic Regatta

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
Triton106
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Plastic Classic Regatta

Post by Triton106 »

The 51th annual Plastic Classic Regatta was held on the SF Bay near the hosting Bay View Boat Club waters. Blossom (Triton 106) participated in this fun and irreverent event for the first time. My friennd Rob Heggen and I double handed it as the third crew member suffered a pretty serious injury recently. Seven Tritons entered the race in all and three more Tritons as well as a Commander and an Alberg 30 joinned us overnight at the near by South Beach Harbour Marina.

Blossom came in 5th out of 7th. We were actually in the lead after the first beat leg. Unfortunately, during the second (beam reach) and third leg (broad reach) all other Tritons passed us as we watched with a total dismay. We were the only one with a high cut and hollow leach jib on the roller furler where as everyone else had deck sweeping full roach jib (class rule only allows working jib and main, no spinnaker, no genoa). We regained a couple of positions in legs 4 (beat) and maintained it in leg 5 (run) and 6 (beat) and finished fifth. Ely Gilliam of Bolero won first place and took back the Triton perpetual trophy from Norman Thomas of Rascal II.

Ely with his hardware and the runner up Ian Elliott

The girls on the (in)famous T-Mark who flashes every sailor rounding of the mark, and there are three (roundings of the T-Mark, not three girls) during the race

After the race we all congregated overnight at the South Beach Harbour. Swapped stories and Triton modification ideas. A lots of booz and cigars were consumed on Rob Squires' Head over Hills, the beauty queen of the fleet. This morning we had breakfast together at the Java House by the marina. After cleaning up and reorganizing the boats everyone took off around 10AM for their own marina. After seeing Mark Harrington sailed his motorless Triton out of the marina Rob and I decided to show off a little of our own sailing skills as well. We followed Mark and sailed out the marina on the way back to Alameda. When our friend Steve Cossman and his sweetheart passed us by under full steam we gave him a hard time for taking the easy way out. It was a fun weekend.
Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

Re: Plastic Classic Regatta

Post by Hulukupu »

Thank you for sharing this. It sounds like a lot of fun. I'm glad there were 7 Tritons out on the Bay and Blossom was one of them!
jollyboat
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Plastic Classic Regatta

Post by jollyboat »

Great report on the Plastic Classic! What a fun day of racing it is as I have had the pleasure myself aboard Sepi, Triton 346 which I had trucked out to SF in 2001. When I returned east I had to leave 346 behind so hopefully she is still enjoying the Bay and maybe even the PC!
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter