Getting to Bath, ME by boat

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
preserved_killick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Seagrass
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Getting to Bath, ME by boat

Post by preserved_killick »

I'd like to visit Bath by boat, but from what I've read in the Cruising Guide both the Kennebec and the alternate Hell's Gates seem a little dodgy. Most sailors I've talked to don't recommend it, but have not attempted it.

Anyone have any experience with either route? Just how bad is it? Any local knowledge that would be helpful?

-jeff
1965 Alberg 30 #116
http://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie
Paulus
Boat Name: Guillemot
Boat Type: Mariner Ketch

Re: Getting to Bath, ME by boat

Post by Paulus »

East River and Hell Gate here in NY have the same reputation and carry the same cautions - Having done the Gate twice in my Seaward 23 and four times in the current Mariner 31, I can say it is quite uneventful, as long as you prepare for it and time it right...

If you lived by everyone's advice and cautions, you'd never learn anything and live a pretty boring life.
preserved_killick

Thanks Paulus,

At this point I'd rather satisfy my sense of adventure pushing the limits with my other toys! On this stretch of water I think it prudent to proceed cautiously with as much beta as possible. I can't find first hand experience of anyone who has done this by sailboat, just lots of people who claim that it is too dangerous.
1965 Alberg 30 #116
Case

Post by Case »

I'm in the area.

I've done it many times via powerboat but not under sail. Its really a motoring course, to be honest. It will take ages just to sail unless the wind direction is just right. I frequently went to Boothbay then to Bath then out via Popham. It is a nice ride but I would only do it with a fast powerboat. To do otherwise is too boring for me...

Do you trust your engine? If no, forget it. You'll need to gun it at times to go thru the heavy tides and wakes that show up at times. Slack tide, its usually calm but outgoing tides with incoming winds do whip things up lots... especially off Popham Beach. I would avoid that area if its windy with an outgoing tide.

- Case
preserved_killick

Thanks Case.

I had a feeling that was the case. I do trust my engine, but not the way the boat handles in currents. I've been surprised by how my boat veers around even getting into Robinhood from the Sheepscott when there's a bit of a current. And that's the easy part.

Part of what had me curious was that I've gone though some areas that the Cruising Guide described as sketchy, and found it otherwise if you think about what you are doing.

-jeff
1965 Alberg 30 #116