Sailing Galveston

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Sailing Galveston

Post by One Way David »

My wife said, "Lets go someplace warm this winter." As opposed to the -19' F last winter, I guess. I replied, "OK, lets go sailing in Galveston." "That sounds fun", she replied. Well almost.

We are new to sailing. I've had my boat (an Ensign) about 3 years and we'd take weekend trips out on the lake during the March-November season. So, like I said, new to sailing. But we want to be able to go cruising. Charter initially and on our own boat eventually (hence my addiction to this forum). So we decided to go with American Sailing Association schools.

Angie's first day on the water in Galveston (Clear Lake actually because of the weather) was 37' F with 20-25 Knot winds. Right about here is where the term of "walking on egg shells" applies. A quick trip to Academy (a regional sporting goods store) for supplemental cold weather clothing to what we had brought helped. It got better. It got up to 68' F and Angie did say that the 37' was warmer than the 13' F we left at home.

On the second combo course, I have several pictures up and a log of the trip for anyone wanting to waste away some time. Most of the folks here are sailors but I think there are a few that are new enough that they might want to see how our adventure went. This is definitely not Classic but it is plastic and it is in our agenda to our dream classic plastic boat. [Ed note: Initially there was difficulty loading the 2nd and 3d images but I am fixing that.]

In my ongoing debate with myself over size of boat to purchase and refit, I have made some new entries. For instance living with 3 strangers (absolutely great company) on a 46' boat for 3 days was not quite crowded, says this born and raised in Texas curmudgeon recluse. That was lesson one, you'll have to read to get the other lessons....

http://igfiddles.com/sailgalves.html