Dan's trip down the Mississippi

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
Skipper Dan
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Jade
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Dan's trip down the Mississippi

Post by Skipper Dan »

Well I made it to Burlington Iowa. I use next to nothing in gas. The 9.9 just chugs along at an easy pace. I threw the knot stick in the water this morning just to see my speed relative to just water rather than gps. 3.5 kts, I can go 6 kts full throttle or maybe a little better. I hooked up the auto pilot this morning while traveling. It took a load off and made it a much more pleasant trip if that is possible. I also hooked up a temp antenna so I can talk to the locks and tugs. This part of the journey will get me plenty of practice in and out of ports and docking. With the outboard I can turn on a dime or swing the bow around in a circle. Not sure when I will get internet again

Dan
Skipper Dan
Master Varnisher

Re: Dan's trip down the Mississippi

Post by Skipper Dan »

Sitting in Portage Des Sioux Missouri. I will be able to stay here for the month for $200.00 electricity and internet at the slip. I have to fly back to WI for an operation so a little break in the action. I am hoping to raise the mast when I get back. I am told most people raise the mast here on the trip down the Mississippi. I also found out they are recommending a different route than going all the way down to New Orleans. Through Kentucky up the Ohio I think it was. I am going to look into that. Even though I do not use much gas and that is the reason everyone goes that way. my blog is http://skipper-dan.blogspot.com/ if you want to follow along.
Attachments
Just after a stormy night
Just after a stormy night
okawbow
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Thursdays' Child
Boat Type: Privateer 26 Schooner

Post by okawbow »

I did the trip from Kentucky Lake Dam, up the Tennessee to the Tom Biggbee waterway, and down to the Gulf of Mexico, in 2008. It's an enjoyable trip, and I even got to sail some most every day. You will need the 2 chart books of the Tombiggbee from Lake Pickwick to Mobile. You can get Tennessee River maps here www.lrn.usace.army.mil/opn/tnriver/

There are about 14 locks on the trip from where you are now. The chart books may not have the new names for the locks, so you need to ask the lock masters what the correct name of the next lock is, or they sometimes don't answer to the old name. Some also use a differnt channel than others.

Be sure and have enough gas to go at least 200 miles, as there are a couple long stretches without services. I was able to get cell phone signals most of the time.

Enjoy!
Chuck
1976 Bristol 24
"Harmony"
Skipper Dan
Master Varnisher

Post by Skipper Dan »

200 miles that seems like a long way. I was told that it was better to take this route than the Mississippi because fuel was short on the Mississippi and fuel was plentiful on the biggbee waterway. Good to have some first hand experience for a change. I have 11 gallons of fuel and can go 15 miles to the gallon that would get me 165 miles. I could always get more containers or float some of the way. I am told that the river slows down past St. Louis. I am hoping to raise the mast when I get back but I will have to see how tender the neck is going to be.

Dan
okawbow
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Thursdays' Child
Boat Type: Privateer 26 Schooner

Post by okawbow »

I had a 10 gal. tank for my little diesel, and got almost 30mpg. I also carried 2- 5 gal. containers of fuel. The stretch from coffeville lock and dam to Mobile, is fairly wild, and I don't remember any fuel stops. There's not much on the Tennessee river either, especially this late in the year.

I have also heard the Mississippi below St. Louis is even less convienient for fuel, and is also much longer.

I would definately have the mast up if possible. I sailed some every day, even on some stretches of the rivers.
Chuck
1976 Bristol 24
"Harmony"
Skipper Dan
Master Varnisher

Post by Skipper Dan »

I am back on the boat. I found a couple of small solar panels to keep my battery up. Most likely going down the Mississippi.

Dan
Skipper Dan
Master Varnisher

Post by Skipper Dan »

Well I am sitting in Summerland Key in FL for Christmas. I have been down here for a week now. My boat is still in Portage Des Sioux. I am staying with Mike at his house. I am learning more about what it is like to live down here. I am thinking it is going to be great. Just anchor out where you feel like it. There are many boats in marina's, but there are also many just anchored out. A neighbor offered the use of his trimaran for sailing while I'm down here. I may take that out on Monday. I have also found some Catalina 22's or $500 that looked like they may be fun to fool around with.

Dan