weather forecasts messing with my plans.

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
carterskemp
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Hali'a
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #345

weather forecasts messing with my plans.

Post by carterskemp »

so.
i keep my boat in bristol, ri.
after weathering this latest big gale (gusted to 52 on one nearby bouy), i have been planning to sail out to block island for a few days to hangout with some friends who have a house. i don't really care whether it is sunny or not, but i wouldn't mind a little help from wind direction. forecast is for norherlies, which is great to get me there. it's about 33 nautical miles from mooring to the great salt pond. i am planning on a nice long one day sail. but i was hoping for the inevitable switch back to southerlies to get me back nice and easy too. the forecast is for northerlies ranging from 15-25 over the next 5 days! i do have flexibility as to when i come back, but not that much.

the question is, if it is blowing 15 in the block island sound out of the northeast, how hard of a sail would it be to tack up to narragansett bay? about 13 miles straight up wind. some current, depending. i have super good upwind sailing skills, but still. might take a while, no? haven't sailed that far upwind in my triton before. just wondering if anyone has experience beating for a long time in a triton or similar.

anyway, hope everyone is squeezing a sail or two in during the last few days of the season. take care.

carter

the pic is not of my boat, but the harbor where i keep it. yesterday, oct. 1, 2010
Attachments
P1450685.jpg
P1450685.jpg (72.25 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Re: weather forecasts messing with my plans.

Post by Figment »

It will be a long day, but if you can catch a flood tide up the bay it's perfectly doable.

Last sunday I departed the salt pond 0700 and was on a mooring in bristol 12 hours later, wind was NNE 15-20 until I was north of the jamestown bridge, when it piped up to 25 or so for the duration. I had the tide against me until Prudence Island, which put over 60 miles on my log in order to make that 33 mile trip.
Brodie
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Starry Night
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 30

Post by Brodie »

The weather is killing me too....been trying to get out for a sail but haven't been on the boat since Sept 21st. Now the boat is scheduled to be hauled on Wednesday which means tomorrow I have the unenviable task of going out to the boat and taking sails off a 23' boat with a bowsprit in a 15-20 kt nor'easter on an unprotected mooring.

I hope you get your sail in to BI...of course this weekend coming up looks like it will be gorgeous, and I'll be working and the boat will be in my yard....
carterskemp
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Hali'a
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #345

Post by carterskemp »

thanks for the info Figment, that was exactly what i was looking for.

i ended up not going though, the weather never really cooperated enough to make me want to go. ended up staying in bristol and getting some super great sails in here. i love this boat. next year will involve trips. this year was just dialing the boat in.
single reef, #3 jib. 20-25. solo.
single reef, #3 jib. 20-25. solo.
east passage. prudence island in the background.
east passage. prudence island in the background.