For everyone's edification...

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

For everyone's edification...

Post by dasein668 »

The other day while I was out enjoying another perfect September sail it occured to me that Tim and I both frequently talk about the local landmarks as though everyone who reads this board knows the area...

So I created a 360 degree panorama of the view from outside Clapboard.

You can see it here.

This is a large (over 500k) image and you will need to scroll across the page to see the whole thing.

I would suggest printing the image, cutting it out and taping the ends together, climbing into your shower, and sticking your head into the middle of the image for the best viewing experience!
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Tim knows pretty close to exactly where I was when I took those shots, so perhaps he might supply a chart to go along with the image...

Everyone ask nice and say pleeeeeeeze!

hehe
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Here's a labeled chart. The distance covered by the width of the chart is about 8nm.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Thanks man!
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Now I know where to take my floating "Will scrape for food" sign. I also contacted the local paparazzi. Life for you will never be the same...

Hey, next year (when I have a working boat again) let's get some boats together for a rendezvous[spelling?]. Your place looks good to me. Or maybe Long cove in Vinalhaven. That is one of my favorite places too. Hmmm, we would need to gather up the Florida, Great Lakes, and West Coast chapters (did I miss any others?). Maybe a sail on Tim's famous yacht could entice them in? Tim, do you like how I just volunteered you?

I am going to jump in the shower now...

-Britton
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

By the way, that is a great picture! How did you do that? I thought you would have spliced several pictures together but it looks like you did some other form of magic. There are no breaks in the waves at the splice(?) points.

-B.
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

No, you are right. I spliced together 10 images using Photoshop. It may look like magic, but its just Photoshop technique! And, I have to say, it's really not very good?I only spent about 20 minutes on it... I'm not getting paid for it after all! hehe

It's a bit more involved that would lend itself to a verbal description, but basically I overlapped the images and blended them together with some quick color/contrast adjustments and semi-transparency at the overlapped areas.

It's a small part of what I do to pay the bills... image compositing. It would be much better if someone was paying me to do it right, though!
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

bcooke wrote:Hey, next year (when I have a working boat again) let's get some boats together for a rendezvous[spelling?]. Your place looks good to me. Or maybe Long cove in Vinalhaven. That is one of my favorite places too. Hmmm, we would need to gather up the Florida, Great Lakes, and West Coast chapters (did I miss any others?). Maybe a sail on Tim's famous yacht could entice them in? Tim, do you like how I just volunteered you?
Good luck with that. I'm sure that Tim will be happy to pass the organization of the rendezvous off on you! Recent attempts to have rendezvous[s] have been pretty disappointing. Only 3 boats two years ago...

Maybe a "Glissando and The Triton Daysailor Forum Rendezvous" might elicit more interest!

But hey, Tim and I are pretty much always around during the summers, so just say the word and WE will show up! hehe
Tim

Post by Tim »

I'm all for a rendezvous with as many willing participants as possible. We can call it a NETA event or whatever, but given the general lack of interest from much of the NETA membership (and/or lack of feasibility of longer-distance cruising for many, given tight time schedules and the like), I now know to keep my expectations low.

That said, I really enjoy the rendezvouses (rendezvoux???), and would enjoy all attempts to get something together for next year.

With several Tritons in the Penobscot Bay area with new owners, somewhere in that area might actually get a few other boats. Who knows. But even if it were just three or so boats, it would be fun for sure.

Whatever we do, I'll certainly broadcast the information to all group members nationwide, but won't spend much time on fancy planning, nor will I expect much in the way of turnout. Two or three boats with friends aboard is really all that is necessary, anyway!
Shark
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Panorama

Post by Shark »

Nathan,

Great picture, thanks.

I'm unstepping the mast this weekend and getting my boat ready for haul out on Monday. I can't believe it's that time again so soon!

Pictures like this will be appreciated during the long, dark, non-sailing days ahead.

Lyman
Tim

Post by Tim »

By the way, take another look at that photo and you'll understand why weekday September sailing in our area is such a treat. Gorgeous weather aside, please note that there is not one other boat to be seen!
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Boy we sure are spoiled up here aren't we?

Lyman: I'm also coming out on Monday. I'm hoping to get a couple of overnights in between now and then...