Stern anchors

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Stern anchors

Post by Figment »

All from the Newport Boat Show....

I assume that this is a european design, where mooring bow-to a quay requires frequent deployment of the stern anchor. Otherwise, I can't possibly see how this is a sensible thing.
Figment

Post by Figment »

Likewise, gotta be a european thing, but come on now.... a reel of nylon web strap as an anchor rode??
Figment

Post by Figment »

I think this one was on a Pacific Seacraft 31.... a ROLLER for your stern anchor/drogue rode. Now THAT'S a good idea!
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I was having problems in the forum seeing the photos from Image Station, so I copied them to my server and changed the code so they will hopefuly show up more consistently. Hope you don't mind.

I've heard of the webbing rode thing somewhere before, though I can't remember where. The right kind of webbing is very strong, so I suppose for a seldom-used anchor, the flat storage on a reel could make sense. I understand the concept, though I'd want to know more about the pros and cons before I tried it.

It seems that stern anchor storage and deployment encourages more ingenuity and (sometimes) crazy ideas than almost any other boating-related equipment. It always seems that people are trying to come up with a better means of storing the bulky gear.

That in-hull plow sure is ugly, though. And I'd hate to be swimming up to the stern platform near the overhanging anchor if a wake rolled through the anchorage--ouch, that would leave a mark!!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment

Post by Figment »

No, of course I don't mind at all. Whatever it takes to get the pics to show. All of this code stuff is completely over my head.

I don't doubt the strength of the strap. It's the setting/holding power of a rig with no chain that I question.

As for that plow under the quarter..... Yeah, I guess that when the boat weights 20 tons you worry less about having a bit more drag on starboard tack. Still, I'd hate to sail that thing in waters full of lobster traps!

I'm still impressed by the roller and hawse pipe on the PS31. That boat had a number of similarly well thought out details.