"Freebag"

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

"Freebag"

Post by Figment »

Skimming through Tim's cruise log, I caught on his thought to devise a cushion system for sitting on the top of the coaming board.

Enter: the "Freebag"....

http://www.sailorsams.com/mall/freebag.asp

Fundamentally it's a small beanbag chair, but we've found no end to the utility of the two we keep on board. In addition to general cushion use (we have no actual cockpit cushions), swimming-toy use, actual luggage use, etc. I often use a freebag for sitting on the coaming for better visibility if I have the dinghy on the foredeck, or if we're in a patch of water that's lousy with lobsterpots.

There is a bit of a learned art/skill to getting a really comfy setup, but once you've got it you're set for hours. Usually I just sling about 2/3 of the beans over the edge of the coaming (so that they bear your weight on the side deck) and jam the remainder up against the winch. Plop your butt down, wiggle here, scootch there, and voila!

Apart from the above website that Google turned up when writing this post, I don't know where to buy them. We haven't seen any since we purchased our pair at BoatUS two years ago. If you find a good source, let us know, we're constantly fighting over them, and could make good use of a third. ("or fourth", Julia would be quick to add)
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

In a similar vein, we use a couple of Sportaseats in the cockpit. They're probably not as all around versatile as these "Freebags", but we love them--they're great for sitting at the aft end of the cockpit, facing forward. Of course, we also have full-length cushions that live in the cockpit, but the Sportaseats are like icing on the cake.

http://www.sportaseat.com/

Stay tuned for more on the coaming seat. I need to build one this winter.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Yeah, the coaming seat is an idea that Tim and I have been mulling over for a couple of seasons... sort of like the cockpit table that he implemented this year. It should be interesting if it worlks as well as I think it will...