We've done alot of daysailing near home this season.

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
Tom Young
Skilled Systems Installer

We've done alot of daysailing near home this season.

Post by Tom Young »

I've made a few trips to the Fox Island Thoroughfare in western Penobscot Bay lately, just to sail it. We're usually running through it headed east or west along the coast. It's a remarkable stretch of water that dog legs between North Haven and Vinalhaven Islands. The sailing through appears to be contagious as we see many boats doing so when the wind is southerly and puts much of the crooked route on a beam reach.

Schooners often sail through as did this one the other day. In the flat water with no fetch but a good southerly breeze over the trees, bursts of hull speed aren't unusual. Image

Exploring the shore of the tiny town of North Haven last weekend, I watched sailboat after sailboat merrily beam reaching past the town docks and general traffic of ferry boat and fishing boats tieing up. This is one of the more unique stretches of water on the east coast, a sailors waterway.
cantstopnow
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Ariadne
Boat Type: Morgan M34

Re: We've done alot of daysailing near home this season.

Post by cantstopnow »

That's beautiful
Today is a great day to Go Sailing
1966 Morgan M34 K/CB
1965 Pearson Commander
1977 kells 28
1973 Paceship PY23
1971 Compac CP 16
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Excuse me for getting off track here, but.... Rick.... I see "Pearson Commander" in your byline. Did you buy the one you were looking at? If so, congrats! And.... a new photo thread? Pretty please?

Tom: Nice!

Rachel
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

How many coats of Vaahnish you got on that boom? Beautiful job. Then I noticed the schooner. Some of them have nice varnish too.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Tom Young
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Tom Young »

I don't really know. Because it lives under a cover, I've never stripped that boom in the 10 years I've owned the boat and simply add a maintenance coat every spring. By the looks of the thickness, that's been going on for at least half the life of the boat which was built in 1961.

Some varnish is very easy to care for.