chart tip

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
Robert The Gray
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

chart tip

Post by Robert The Gray »

I sail in SF bay California. I do not travel for long distances off shore. My average leg of any given course is less than 8 miles. Lots of shore line and shoals. Of all the little tips I have read about piloting, the tip I use the most is this. On the chart of your local waters draw a grid in permanant ink that is one nautical mile to each square. Align the grid with the magnetic ring of the compass rose. When drawing the lines do not just rip them off, look at the info on the chart and do not cover anything.

This grid allows you to do quick distance estimates. THe over lay of the one nautical mile squares divides the expanse of the chart into easily gestalted blocks. With this grid alligned to the cardinal magnetic directions rough berrings are instant and do not require the parralell rules. the grid also creates an array of ranges with the landmarks on shore which will give very good lines of position. Asssessing danger angles is simplified when using either 90 degree or 45 degree angles. 22.5 is finer but with a small draftsmans adjustable triangle berrings can be taken directily off the grid.

with the chart rose and nautical mile scale expanded out onto the surface of the chart I am able to derive a great deal of info with just the hand bearing compass. While singlehanded under way in crowded narrow waters being able to do quick reads with the berring compass and using the ranges on shore I can know where I am with very little equipment.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Sounds like a good tip. Haven't heard that one before.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating