Baltimore

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
Challenger949L
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: ESPADON Kittiwake
Boat Type: Sabre 28, Alden Challenger

Baltimore

Post by Challenger949L »

Have any of you sailed from Baltimore to Tidewater VA, if so how long did it take? Any recommendations or advice?
Jimmy Small
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

We brought Andiamo down to the Rappahnock a couple of years ago from the magothy (just south of balitmore) and from there I have sailed to the york...so I guess that qualifies me.

We also brought a friends boat from Kent Narrows to the Rapp and then when he sold that boat and bought one in hampton we brought THAT boat up to the rapp.

It is a long weekend at best if you have enough crew to go 24 hours and if you insist on sailing only when it is light out then it will take you a couple of days.

From Balitmore I would probably anchor on the rhodes river first night, then jump down to solomons island.

There are NO good anchorages from just a couple of miles south of Annapolis until you get to Solomons.

Once south of solomons island you need to be alert at the mouth of the potomac. It can get nasty out there. On the north side of the potomac St Marys river is a nice place to stop and the school lets you eat in the cafeteria for $6 bucks and use the docks!

On the south side of the potomac there are numerous creeks..the little wicomico, dividing creek, reedville.

Further south is the rappahanock.

Watch the shoals off the mouth of the rappahanock.

(If you want to do a 16 mile or so detour come see us at Yankee point on the carrotoman. Or go stay at the tides in on carters creek for a night of luxury. don't take this side trip if you are just making the passage south or you won't want to leave!!)

Just south of the rappahanock is the piankatank and there is a great anchorage at fishing bay behind stove point.

We sailed from the corrotoman to yorktown in one long daysail in decent wind, reaching, 15 knots on a 24 foot waterline.

You will need to be alert to ship traffic ALL the time. The ships are at spped once out in the bay and they are MOVING. Tugs with long tows are also to be avoided. The last gotcha is fishtraps!!!

You will be in 15 feet of water (hiding from the ships) and find yourself having to go around several hundred yards of fishtraps. Fun at night...

what else...I am sure I am missing something.
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ceasar Choppy

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Ric has it about right, although it depends on what kind of boat you are talking about. An extra knot of boat speed will make a difference.

Just got back from a Delmarva circumnavigation.... something I used to do in my Renegade, which I now did in my P-39. We had a few more days to hang out and it was a bit more comfortable.

You should be able to make Baltimore to the Rappahanok with 24 hours, but it will be a slog to windward and you will have the tide against you more than with you.

That said, if you are looking for stops along the way, don't rule out the Little Choptank R. which is between Annapolis and Solomons on the EASTERN shore-- although a bit closer to Solomons. There are a couple of creeks in that river which are primo gunkholes.
Ric in Richmond
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

A Delmarva circumnavigation sounds great!!!

Last one I did was on the old GREAT OCEAN RACE....so we never stopped.

We took out time into the canal and out of the canal and raced Annapolis to Annapolis.

It would be fun to do it and actually see something...
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ceasar Choppy

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

The only place I would like to see more of is the Southern Chesapeake Bay. I try and do the Delmarva clockwise with an eye toward making as fast a passage as possible to Norfolk so we have more time to spend in the Southern Bay. But when you only have a week, we are limited to two or three places.

It would also be an adventure to do the old Great Ocean Race sometime too. Maybe someone will resurrect it. Although I don't relish the thought of having to beat/drift into 20 knots/0 knots off the Virginia Capes.

Sorry for the hijack.
Ronin120
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Ronin120 »

Jimmy, if you haven't slipped your lines already;

Ric and Ceasar have it right but I would add a strong caution against going into the Little Wicomico. It's an exposed entrance and difficult to navigate. Shoaling has been reported this year and it was never a sailboat friendly entrance in any case.

Don't know what your passage plans are. If you are going to travel during the daylight hours then their recommendations are very good. The "standard" route is down the West side of the Bay.

Here are some rough distances.

Baltimore to the Rhode/West Rivers - 32 nm
Rhode/West Rivers to Solomons - 42 nm
Solomons to Great Wicomico River - 40 nm
Great Wicomico to Fishing Bay - 23 nm
Fishing Bay to the mouth of the James River - 39 nm

Y(n)MMV

Several days if you travel during daylight hours. If you decide to one-shot it to the Southern Bay then that's a very different discussion.

(hijack alert) I'll take drifting/blowing off Cape Charles over drifting in dense fog at the mouth of Delaware with one crew on the bow listening for large engine noise and one crew with his hand on the starter button. I don't miss the GOR....

Cheers
Dave
1982 C&C 37 - under reconstruction
1988 Mako 26 CC - don't laugh, it needs work too.
1970's vintage Snipe
1970 Islander 37 - sold
1968 Cal 25 - sold but still racing...

Wave Man
Ceasar Choppy

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Ronin120 wrote: (hijack alert) I'll take drifting/blowing off Cape Charles over drifting in dense fog at the mouth of Delaware with one crew on the bow listening for large engine noise and one crew with his hand on the starter button. I don't miss the GOR....
Were you on my trip? We had to turn back into Cape May because the fog was so bad at the mouth of Del Bay that I couldn't see past the bow of the boat. Sailing mostly in the Chesapeake Bay, this boat is not equipped with radar.

And just so this post isn't a complete hijack: I would recommend doing the trip in one shot without stopping this time of year-- or maybe do all your sailing as night. There is usually a breeze at night as opposed to sunlight hours, and you won't bake. You just have to watch for commercial traffic.
Ronin120
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Mostly hijacked thread...

Post by Ronin120 »

Sorry Jimmy but we're sort-of hijacking this thread but maybe providing some information.

As Ceaser said, going down to the southern part of the Bay in one shot is a pretty good option. Obviously you'll want crew that can stand watches and most importantly, keep an eye out for commercial traffic.

In the past I and my crew have used this strategy quite a bit. We'd leave Annapolis at dusk on a Friday, sail through the night and almost always be crossing the mouth of the Potomac at first light. This puts you into the beginning of the Lower Bay area which has excellent one-day cruises. If you're not cruising then you can keep going and make Hampton/Norfolk (Tidewater) by late afternoon.

We did this to keep our night navigation skills up and to enjoy the night sailing. Double bonus.

Okay, now for the hijacked part: Ceasar, I was on your trip. If it was in June, 1979. ;-)

Like you we've done the clockwise trip around the DelMarVa on our current boat. A good shakedown cruise for a rebuilt motor, mast and standing rigging work and some new sails. Fun.

Cheers
Dave
1982 C&C 37 - under reconstruction
1988 Mako 26 CC - don't laugh, it needs work too.
1970's vintage Snipe
1970 Islander 37 - sold
1968 Cal 25 - sold but still racing...

Wave Man