Final Cruise Pix

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
A30_John
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Final Cruise Pix

Post by A30_John »

Fortunately I was able to get last week off work on short notice and take advantage of a great forecast. Here are some pictures.
Sorry about the size.

Common sight on the water in Maine..

For the sailor who was asking about handheld GPS, here's a shot of my Garmin 76S. I navigate by paper chart and confirm using GPS.
For this purpose the small screen on the handheld works well as it keeps me focused on pertinent information..

Fog, ferries, and lobster pots (sigh)...

This is NOT the time you want to meet the ferry...

At the end of a hard day's work, a quiet evening next to these guys isn't too hard to take...

Alas, it is nearly time to haul the boat and begin the winter projects. I hope everyone had a great sailing season!
John
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Re: Final Cruise Pix

Post by dasein668 »

A30_John wrote:At the end of a hard day's work, a quiet evening next to these guys isn't too hard to take...
Cabot Cove on Vinalhaven?
A30_John

Post by A30_John »

Yessir... good observation!
John
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Yeah, I was there in August. You can see the same dorys behind the stancion in this picture:

I nearly ran into all this netting at the head of the harbor. It was hard to see with the sun glaring off the water when I was arriving:

A30_John

Post by A30_John »

I was wondering what they did with all that netting. We can add that to our list of Maine yachting hazards.
John
Marshall Wright
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v Sunset
Boat Type: Pacific Seacraft 25T

Post by Marshall Wright »

John,

Where did you get your wood spreader covers? And how did you support their bottoms so they don't slide down?

Marshall
A30_John

Post by A30_John »

Marshall,

The ash shroud rollers came with the boat. I see that you can buy them at Defender: (You'll have to copy and paste this URL..)

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=161924

Note that it's bad form to put them on with black tape. I should have used white rigging tape but I didn't have any when I put them on. I should have covered the black tape with white at my earliest opportunity but did not do so. My bad, and now it's out there forl all to see - not just the unfortunate souls anchored next to my boat.

The rollers sit on metal plates that sit on the rigging fittings. They were there when I bought the boat. I don't know if the plates can be added after the fact, but I suspect they could be.
John
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Here's more information on those shroud rollers.

Link: Bete-Fleming
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Marshall Wright
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v Sunset
Boat Type: Pacific Seacraft 25T

Post by Marshall Wright »

Thank you gents for the info on the shroud rollers.

Marshall
JSmith
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by JSmith »

Those are stop seines- they run a net at night across the mouth of the cove when herring come in to feed- the when the fish try and leave at dawn they make a "pocket" out of another net on the outside of the one across the cove- double corks where the two are side by side are sunk with rocks and the fish run right in. then a sardine carrier is called and the fish are purse seined out of the pocket. Not seen much any more. I used to do it in the 70's. Biggest set we had was about 15,000 bushel over 6-8 nights in the same cove. These are ther big Maine sardines.