Dasein Cruise 06 Preview

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Dasein Cruise 06 Preview

Post by dasein668 »

Dasein is back. Sigh.

19 days, no fog. What gives?

269.4 miles cruised.

approx 57 hours underway, 27 hours under power.

Harbors visited, in order: The Basin, New Meadows River; Long Cove (Tenants Harbor); Pulpit Harbor, Northhaven; Bucks Harbor; Brooklin/Wooden Boat School; Blue Hill Harbor; Northeast Harbor, Mt Desert; Mackerel Cove, Swans Island; Bucks Harbor again; Long Cove again; Witch Island, Johns Bay; Harmon Harbor, Sheepscot River; Ash Point Cove (Potts Harbor); home.

Here are a few photos to entertain y'all till I can really cull through the 900+ (yes, really) pics from the cruise and get the logs up on dasein668.com

Heading east on a northwest breeze.

Heather sunning herself while we screamed down Eggemoggin Reach at 6 knots under main alone.

Anchored at Harmon Harbor

Jordon Pond, Acadia

Sunset at Mackerel Cove, Blue Hill Bay.

Mt Desert, from Mackerel Cove

Gavin enjoying popovers at the Jordon Pond House

Sunset from Ash Point Cove.

Motoring past Seguin on a steely morning.

Gavin studying ornithology in Blue Hill Bay

Anchored at Witch Island, Johns Bay

Dasein's new awning (Pulpit Harbor)

Reaching down Penobscot Bay in light showers.
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

LIFE IS GOOD!!!
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Yes, well that's true, though it was definitely better before I came home! hehe
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by jhenson »

Nathan,

Awesome photography! The cruising there must be breathtakingly beautiful.

Is the awning new to your boat this year? I seem to remember some discussion about the design on the forum.

Joe
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Hi Joe,

Yes, the awning is new. So new, in fact, that I didn't even get a chance to do a final fitting before I left. I'll be posting some more pics and info in that thread you mentioned soon.

As for beautiful, yes it certainly is!
David VanDenburgh
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Post by David VanDenburgh »

Nathan,

Beautiful pictures! And it's great to see little Gavin embarking on such grand adventures at so tender an age. Fantastic!

Glad you guys had a great trip.

David
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

David VanDenburgh wrote:And it's great to see little Gavin embarking on such grand adventures at so tender an age. Fantastic!
Yup, that's his third cruise. He turned three the day after he went home.
keelbolts

Post by keelbolts »

I haven't cruised as much as I'd like, who has, but I've been to Bermuda & numerous times up & down the East Coast and I think my favorite trip was one I did to Maine. I'm always envious of you guys from down east. I have to remind myself that the Chesapeake Bay ain't awful either. Also, I can, sanely, sail from May thru November.

Still, I spent an evening in Seal Cove that was magical. A perfectly clear sky and still water that brought stars from bulwark to the other. It was like sailing thru space. They say that when you die your life is played back for you. I'm looking forward to that part...

Glad you had a good time & no excitement.
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Logs are done.

No complaining, Tim: 11,500 plus words and something like 115 photos. And you only had to wait a couple days.

Check 'em out here:
http://www.dasein668.com/2006/cruise
FloatingMoneyPit
Topside Painter

thanks

Post by FloatingMoneyPit »

m-m-m-mmmm.
Thanks for posting so quickly, Nathan. Just finished reading the logs.

You'd think that having quit my job in May I'd have finished restoration projects on my boat within 2 months (yah, right) and made it up to Maine before heading to the Carib. We all know how that goes. And I really, really, really, really (getting it yet?), really wanted to spend some time cruising Downeast. I'll just have to settle for the BVI and then relocate to Maine for a lifetime of the good stuff seen in your (and Tim's pre-06) logs. "Phenomenological reality" as good as it gets. The 10 foot Tahoe snow banks are a close second, though.
Tartan 27
Brooklyn, NY
David VanDenburgh

What is it with anchoring?!

dasein668 wrote:
Soon, however, the first of several anchoring debacles over the next two days began. This was minor, and barely worth noting, except that it continues the theme of "Why So Damn Close???" that I noted on days one and two of the cruise.
Hmmm...that was a rather familiar refrain on our summer cruise as well. First, there was the guy who dropped about 35 feet of chain in 30 feet of water and dug a furrow from one end of the anchorage to the other before settling on top of us, decided "heck with it", and then proceeded to dump a pile of chain on the bottom - "just to be sure". We watched in stunned disbelief as this guy - only 50 feet away - began settling in for the night. When we told him that he had anchored on top of our anchor, he shrugged his shoulders and went below.

Then there was the powercruiser that nearly chewed up our rode using the same strategy - "It's 15ft deep, the anchor's touching the bottom. Why isn't it holding?!" As if the first attempt wasn't painful enough to watch, the guy must have tried this five times before finally giving up and moving on.

Ah, yes, and how could I forget the morning in Holland?! We had the anchorage all to ourselves that evening, but when we awoke in the morning there was a sailboat so close I leaned over the rail, knocked on his hull, and offered him a steaming cup of coffee.

And there were at least four other episodes, each proving that there's no shortage of ignorant and inexperienced boaters out there - even sailors.
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Anchoring is a pet peeve of mine. It really isn't that difficult; why don't people do a better job?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

...and Heidi wonders why I stand firmly on deck giving all new arrivals the evil eye. I won't hesitate to tell people when they've anchored too close to me. I've done it a number of times, and it may not win me friends, but there's just no reason for people to anchor so close.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
David VanDenburgh

My dad and I began referring to ourselves as "anchor-nazis" after our second dinghy trip to another boat to tell them to move. Typical routine: We'd watch some new boat come into the anchorage, watch them anchor on top of us, fire up the radar to get their distance, then dinghy over to tell them to beat it.

Oh, how fun!
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Learning takes time. That five minutes learning to anchor properly could be better used waiting in line at Dunkin Donuts. Don't worry, if you are too close someone will probably come over and nicely tell you to move. If your anchor drags, don't worry, it will probably catch on someone elses line or perhaps the boat will come to rest gently on the shoreline- either way problem solved so why bother learning?...
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Oh, and Tim isn't kidding about that Evil Eye thing :-) Truly scary and makes me think twice even when he isn't looking at me.

-Britton
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

The good news is, if you are cruising with Tim, he'll give people the evil eye if they anchor too close to you, too!
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Tim wrote:...and Heidi wonders why I stand firmly on deck giving all new arrivals the evil eye.
Hear hear! I do the same thing. You have to if you want any hope of sleeping at night. It's also useful if you ever have to take the bus (here's hoping you don't) and want to keep a pair of seats to yourself.

And honestly, I have NO IDEA why no-one ever dinghies over later to invite me for sundowners...

--- Rachel

PS: Britton --- Please, please, please don't ever stop being yourself (I loved the Dunkin' Donuts part ;-).
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Please, please, please don't ever stop being yourself
Well, I was thinking of overhauling my personality a bit, maybe adopt a Tom Cruise persona for awhile. I will leave it alone for now if you think its best...

I am still curious as to where you have been for the past several months and what your boat situation is today, maybe off-forum so as not to hijack this thread any further :-)

-Britton
Tim

Post by Tim »

dasein668 wrote:The good news is, if you are cruising with Tim, he'll give people the evil eye if they anchor too close to you, too!
Just a little service I like to provide!
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Nathan, I'm spending way too much of my workday reading your cruise log. Every pic I click-to-enlarge is worth ogling for at least a solid minute or two, and it's adding up fast!

Where shall I send the bill?
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Figment wrote:Where shall I send the bill?
Jeez, Mike. I dunno. Maybe send it to Tim?

I do know where you can send the donations, though! ;-D
Tim

Post by Tim »

dasein668 wrote:
Figment wrote:Where shall I send the bill?
Jeez, Mike. I dunno. Maybe send it to Tim?
Sure thing. I'll take care of it.

In fact, Just send all your bills my way. I'll handle them from here. Just the kind of guy I am.