Bucks Harbor Rendezvous

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Bucks Harbor Rendezvous

Post by dasein668 »

Meet Dasein and Her Crew In Bucks Harbor, ME!
August 11-12
For more info, check out the Events Page at the New England Triton Association Website.

As some of you may know, Dasein is leaving for her summer cruise on August 7, to return on the 25th. If any of you are out-and-about during that time, I'd love to catch up with you. Except for the 11th and 12, I don't have a clear itenerary, however, so just know that I'll be somewhere between Vinalhaven and Mt. Desert during the period running from about the 9th through the 22. I monitor VHF 16 during the day.

If you would like to try my cell phone, contact me via email or PM and I will provide that number.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Was anyone able to link up with Nathan?
Eric
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Sophia
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Eric »

Figment wrote:Was anyone able to link up with Nathan?
I kinda planned to swing by, but, decided to go to Rockland for the boat show instead.

I did spot him heading down Blue Hill Bay on Wednesday (the 16th) as I crossed the Trumpet Island bar, and spoke with him briefly via VHF. He said he was heading for Northeast Hbr.

He brought some great weather with him!

-- E
Sophia, Triton #635
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Nope. Couldn't even get Tim to come by for rums!
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

By the way, Eric, I'm sorry we didn't get to catch up while we were on MDI. The two days slipped by awfully quickly! Maybe next summer!
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando

Post by Tim »

dasein668 wrote:Nope. Couldn't even get Tim to come by for rums!
Wanted to badly. Just couldn't.

I'll make up for this summer, next summer.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Tim wrote:I'll make up for this summer, next summer.
Does that mean you'll be doing another 2 month cruise next summer?
Tim

Post by Tim »

Well, I figure more like one month, probably.

Two months is great, but is really hard when you're trying to maintain normal life too, with all its commitments. But just about everything in life can be ignored easily for one month.

But that's next year. I have miles to go before I sleep...
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Nathan wrote:Does that mean you'll be doing another 2 month cruise next summer?
Ummm... I think you are confusing one famous personality for another - and it was 2 and a half months.

It takes a month to really settle into cruising. It takes another month to prepare for re-entry. That really leaves no time for cruising so I recommend at least three months next year. That month you go cruising was the month you were scheduled to win the lottery anyway so you might as well just stay out there. I will be happy to look after the new place and shop while you are gone. How tough are the eviction laws in Maine?...

-Britton
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

No, I wasn't getting you confused, Britton. Not to worry! I was referring to Tim's 2 month cruise a few years back. Maybe his first or second year with Glissando?
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Nathan,

Thanks for the trip report and the gorgeous photos. I've got the Acadia rocks-water-sky on my computer desktop at work (where I'm sitting right now - on Saturday - what's happened to me?!). Looking forward to hearing more about it, and about the awning, too.

Britton wrote:It takes a month to really settle into cruising. It takes another month to prepare for re-entry. That really leaves no time for cruising so I recommend at least three months next year. -Britton
So you really only had a two-week cruise last summer, all said and done ;-)

--- R.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

So you really only had a two-week cruise last summer, all said and done
That is why I deserve another long cruise already :-)
No, I wasn't getting you confused...
Oh...

B.
Tim

Post by Tim »

bcooke wrote:That is why I deserve another long cruise already :-)
You'll have earned another long cruise by the time you finish your boat project.

No one "deserves" or is "entitled to" anything. One gets back what they put in. That's what makes these seemingly endless boat projects so potentially worthwhile.

Now, get cracking, mistah! Winter is coming on very quickly (sorry, folks, but wasn't just yesterday the 4th of July...and now it's almost Labor Day?????), and that means projects come to a screaming halt.
bcooke wrote:How tough are the eviction laws in Maine?...
Probably not tough enough...I wouldn't want to take the risk! hehe
Eric
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Sophia

Post by Eric »

dasein668 wrote:By the way, Eric, I'm sorry we didn't get to catch up while we were on MDI. The two days slipped by awfully quickly! Maybe next summer!
No worries. I got back from a quick trip down to Roque I. last night and counted up my nights off the mooring for the two weeks of my vacation. I was shocked that it was only 7!

Doesn't the time pass quickly when you have a boat in the water...

-- E
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Tim wrote:Now, get cracking, mistah!
I know, I know... I have nightmares of dying before the boat is finished and my heirs simply shaking their heads and arranging for the boat to be cut up and dumped in a landfill.
Floating Money Pit (from another thread) wrote:You'd think that having quit my job in May I'd have finished restoration projects on my boat within 2 months
Yes, well, see,... I took that year off and I too figured I would have the major stuff done by the fall, cruise to the Bahamas, somehow find a little work and redo the interior, sail back up in the spring with a much improved boat and re-enter the job market making an equivilent salary...

It didn't really happen that way, I left with a drastically unfinished boat and came back to a very poor local job market. To make matters worse I had sold off my smooth running, high efficiency Honda Civic (the money was quickly swallowed by my ever hungry boat). Then I let the maintenance slip on the truck so I could pay boat bills...

I am pretty sure my boat will stay dry next year too. I keep pushing the ball forward but my progess is being measured in inches at the moment. Hopefully, the speed will pick up soon. Some years are just better than others.

-B
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

...Or I will install new rigging and another four hour interior job and with my new full inventory of sails go off until the economy gets a whole lot better.

B.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

bcooke wrote:...Or I will install new rigging and another four hour interior job and with my new full inventory of sails go off until the economy gets a whole lot better.

B.
Always have a "Plan B" ;-)