the odd day of the odd summer

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

the odd day of the odd summer

Post by Figment »

It's been an odd summer. I've yet to have any REAL sailing on Figment. My wednesday night racing has had its moments, but the weekend stuff on my own boat has been a repeated routine of motoring out to find some breeze, kinda riding that breeze for an hour or so, then trying to milk every last drop of it as it completely poops out, eventually surrendering to the sweltering heat and/or bugs and motoring home. I don't think the boat has broken the 3.5kt mark yet this year. Saturday started out as more of the same, but with a few twists, and a funny bird.

On a lark, I decided to do things in reverse order. Spinnaker first!
4knots boatspeed in 6knots of wind. Not too shabby. The boat was moving well, and a bit of cloudcover kept the heat within a range of comfort despite the near-zero apparent wind. The day was off to a good start. I didn't even mind so much when we ran out of searoom and had to douse the chute and hoist main and jib for a bit of windward work.

The breeze died away a bit at a time, of course. We eventually found ourselves completely becalmed about 100yds to leeward of the local bigboat race's finish line. There was some comfort in the knowlege that the racers had to be more frustrated than we were. They'd been roasting out there for hours. At least we had good sandwiches. There was some perverse sort of fun in hearing each engine fire less than 5 seconds after the finishing signal to the HOORAY of the crew.

Once lunch was cleaned up, I started paying attention again and got a half knot of mojo going back toward harbor. The half knot was getting harder and harder to maintain, however, as the nearer we got to the harbor the more we were flopped around by the wakes of boats powering in for THE BEST DAMN FIREWORKS SHOW AROUND.
Of course, the last 1/4 mile suddenly had a good solid ten knots of breeze, isn't that always the way??

I suppose I was in a fairly seamanlike mood, but still anchoring under sail is generally more fun, don't you think? It always seems silly to fire up the engine just to set the hook and then shut it down again five minutes later. Perhaps because there was no engine noise, I was able to hear a "yooo hoooooo" over my shoulder just as the hook hit the mud.
Hey, that dinghy looks oddly familiar...... almost as if I'd built it or something....
My brother and his fiancee had pirated my dinghy and rowed out to the harbor, guessing that we'd be anchoring for the fireworks. Luckily, they brought a bag of goodies along with them. We aren't really set up for entertaining, but who needs a corkscrew when you have a claw hammer and a bunch of fasteners on board?
Image It was a pleasant afternoon of swimming and drinking and snacking and drinking and relaxing and drinking. The wine was flowing just freely enough to keep up with the dark&stormys. I even had the presence of mind to take a lap around the anchorage with the camera at near-dusk.
ImageImage

Eventually the sun yielded to the real show of the night.
ImageImage
A steady hand doesn't mean much in a breezy anchorage, eh?

Of course, the comedy act starts after the fireworks have ended. See, the fireworks are launched from the town pier, which defines the mouth of the river. The authorities naturally close the river to traffic as part of establishing a safe-distance perimeter from the launch site, and it takes a while for them to declare all-clear after the show. Despite this perfectly logical scenario, the following happens EVERY SINGLE YEAR:
1. about a third of the boats hurriedly weigh anchor in an asinine attempt to beat the rush back into the river. Because they're in such a rush, they haven't let their night vision recover from the fireworks, and they break out the million-candlepower spotlights, and all hope of recovery evaporates.
2. these boats gather at the perimeter bouys, jockeying for position to be the first-released when the river is opened.
3. these boats inevitably gather too closely together, and their jockeying for postion becomes an exercise in closequarters collision avoidance.
4. Some band of wiseguys try to sneak past the harbor patrol by hugging the shoreline and running without lights. the harbor patrol has radar, of course, and descends upon the wiseguys with the customary fury of law enforcement personnel who've spent an entire saturday night shepherding a gaggle of boozed-up idiots.
5. At last, the river is opened, and because "they can't get all of us", all sense of speed limit or no-wake zone is abandoned as thirty boats make for the 4-boat-wide river mouth. Sooner or later someone fouls someone else and a battle of words and spotlights ensues.

Because we elect to sit back and watch all of the above from a distance before getting underweigh, it's near midnight by the time we're secured to the dock, and well into the wee hours before heads hit pillows.
We returned to the boat today (more than mildly hung over) purely for the purpose of putting away and cleaning up. I need to get back to the office for a few hours anyway.

Of course.... it's blowing 12-18 kts.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

hehe...I think your description of the post-fireworks bruhaha could pretty much be applied to any area with fireworks that boats attend!

Thanks for the story. It's nice to hear someone is out on the water and having fun.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Re: the odd day of the odd summer

Post by dasein668 »

Figment wrote:Image
Mike, you are scaring me!
Figment

Post by Figment »

hey, at least I've enough couth to extract the screw from the cork afterward!

(because that would've been SO TOTALLY white-trashy)
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

HA!
Figment

Re: the odd day of the odd summer

Post by Figment »

Figment wrote:My wednesday night racing has had its moments....
Edit: Wow, these pics are a lot better when they're full-size and you can actually SEE what I'm talking about. I'll have to fix that later, somehow.

A few moments from a wednesday night when I actually did NOT leave the camera in the car.

The fleet chasing us down after the finish.

ImageImage
No shortage of eye candy in the mooring field. 3 IODs and a Fish class, more IODs out of frame.

The anchorage always has something interesting as well, like this batwing rigged delight. Note the wicked forward rake on the foremast. The hull is like a 40' version of a boston whaler skiff.
Last edited by Figment on Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Great trip report! I really liked the fireworks photos. And the hammer/corkscrew is a classic :-)

--- R.
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

Mike - are you racing Figment?
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Figment

Post by Figment »

Oh heck no!!! I let Other People spend insane money on good sails and go-fast gear. I just show up (with beer) and trim the good sails and have a good time.

I may do a few beercan races at my home port this fall (when early sunsets force the wednesday night series to become the sunday afternoon series) but really that'll be more about gently introducing Julia to the rituals of racing than anything else. I'll need to drop some coin on sails that actually FIT the boat before I take the boat on any "real" races.
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

That's how I am - but I got a PHRF certificate for the heck of it and, if there's enough breeze, I might jump my regular ship and take the Triton around the cans Wednesday night. Or not - my headsails are atrocious.

Of course, this might be closer to the Triton's speed:
Figment wrote: Image
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Tim

Post by Tim »

Figment wrote:I'll need to drop some coin on sails that actually FIT the boat before I take the boat on any "real" races.
Heck, I think you should do that for any sailing. I'm just funny that way.
Figment

Post by Figment »

You're just hilarious that way!

A new 155 is budgeted for this winter.

We've been considering new mainsail vs. moving the boat from the current cheap-as-chips (but 30 minutes away) boat club to the uber-expensive marina that's walking distance from the house. The boat club has been rubbing me the wrong way more and more, and the current main is still in half-decent shape.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Figment wrote:The boat club has been rubbing me the wrong way more and more...
There's nothing worse than disliking where you keep your boat.

Well, OK, there are certainly worse things in life, but we're not talking in such grand scales here.