"sailing stories" indeed!

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

"sailing stories" indeed!

Post by Figment »

I think that the very idea of a 5-day weekend is pure genius.

Julia and I were supposed to go up to Toronto for a long charter weekend on this:
But at the last minute she couldn't get away from work, so I'm faced with 5 COMPLETELY OPEN DAYS. I managed to fill them, of course, but at a far more relaxed pace than my weekends have taken this year.

I finally got the new/old genoa tracks installed with the invaluable help of a boat-buddy, and finally did some real sailing. You know that "groove" we all talk about? Once the genoa could be trimmed to a reasonable shape, the boat fell right into it. Beeeeeyooooteeefull.

Speaking of boat buddies.... Something made me browse the 381 maintenance and sailing logs, and that T-bone steak headline dropped my jaw pretty well (nice writing, Tim). Reading on, I was glad to learn that the damage was limited to cosmetics and my thoughts turned to sympathy for your state of mind, Nathan. I know all too well the sickening sound of boats colliding, and the heavy-hearted feeling of having damaged a friend's boat. But of course all is forgiven among Boat Buddies.

Besides, Nathan, you'll be nice and warm and dry in the new boat barn this winter when you're helping Tim with the repair! ;)

Anyway..... the unprogrammed 5 day weekend was an absolute godsend. I didn't stray farther than 5 miles from the dock, but I was worlds away in my mind.

oh, and my new superhero name is Captain Farmer's-Tan. I look like a normal mild-mannered well-tanned sailorman, but secretly I have the ability to blind evil villains with the brilliantly white skin under my shirt! DUN-DUN-DAAAAAAAAAA!
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Obviously, whatever historical fool decided on a 5-day work week (with its pathetic 2-day weekend) had it all backwards. Should have been the other way 'round, for sure! Life is much better that way.

Of course, you were writing in the past tense...which must mean that your fun is over with now. Sigh. Glad you finally got some stuff done, so that now you can really enjoy your boat as she was meant. The first season is tough--always lots of little bugs to work out.

Too bad your charter didn't work out. Cute boat.

Call me Capt. Smurf, covered in blue paint dust as I write.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the support. That was just one in a ridiculous series of absurd and out of the ordinary things that happened over the course of about 10 days. Not sure what I did wrong recently, but apparently it was catching up to me! Hopefully I've gotten it out of my system, what ever it was! Sheesh.
Dave, 397

Sympathies from me as well

Post by Dave, 397 »

Seems like anytime I have done something totally regrettable and embarrasing, it has been with a witness, and of course not a stranger but one of my sailing buddies(or two...or three...). At least no one has named you "Breakwater Dave".
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Hehe. "Breakwater Dave" huh? That does sound embarrassing...

Anyway, live and learn.... Triton's can be pretty easily stalled when sailing with too much main and no headsail...
Tim

Post by Tim »

STOP THE MADNESS!

The poor apostrophe can't handle much more.

More than one Triton is Tritons. Triton's is possessive.

Example: Tritons can be easily stalled when sailing with too much mainsail and no headsail. The Triton's large mainsail can cause the boat to be easily stalled when sailing with no headsail.

Learn more, and see how you can help the cause!

The Apostrophe Protection Society

;<P thbbbbbt! It's just one of those days! hehehehehehe I'm such a wiseguy.
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

geeez dude, you ever hear of a typo? sheesh. I suspect you've heard me gripe on that one often enough myself to know that I know better!

;-P right back at ya.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Sigh. 10 days of fog, drizzle, and wring-out-the-carpeting levels of humidity will do strange things to people, especially to me.

Apologies to all if my last "apostrophe" post didn't ring with the intended humor and came off instead as a nit-picky correction. 'Twasn't the case.
kaynee30

apostrophes

Post by kaynee30 »

I though it was a hoot!
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Don't forget, I'm suffering through that same dreary weather! I thought we had already discussed how it was making me psychotic! hehe
Shark
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Weather!!

Post by Shark »

Cheer up guys!

It's summer. It beats shovelling snow. The weather is bound to improve sooner or later.

The weather here on Lake Ontario hasn't been great either. We've had thunderstorm warnings for many days, some rain off and on, hot humid weather and little wind. Last Tuesday night's race at my club was a painful drifter I barely finished before curfew. I finished last again except for the guy behind me who quit. Am I discouraged? Well, yes I am a bit but things will get better. They must!

BTW the apostrophe comments were received as intended.

Lyman
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Yeah, but its getting hard to read the forum through the mildew forming on my monitor... sheesh. Its rained every day for, I think, 10 days now. And the fog! Ouch.

Oh well. Better than working! Not that i'd know what that's all about any more! hehe
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Oh, and I did know that the apostrophe thing was good humored. I was trying to make a funny rejoinder, but obviously the foul weather has permeated my typing too! Blech!
Tim

Post by Tim »

A important Anouncement from the Moderater on a Booring sunday

All apostrophe's and there use will be banne'd from this forum, if your unhappy with this, check with you're friend's and get they're opinion. I bet their going too be upset. Also, please be sure all speling is corect. If you dont think this is fare; or it put's you're mind in a weekend state--maybe you should get struck by lightening to. To do this, stick your head out one of the portal's on you're boat and grab the gunnel with boath hand's. This will insure that the curent will efectively fry you'reself. You may ask any one for advise if you want, but you cant argue with the fesability of the idea. You might not be able to breath, afterwards but your mind will be cleared by your numerous friend's knowlege that your to cool.

Now this is obviously a joke! The above virtually unintelligible and nonsensical paragraphs contain a large number of spelling, grammatical, punctuation, and word-use errors. Can you find them all? Much like naming all 50 states from memory, this could be tougher than it looks. Or maybe not...you're a sharp bunch.

The first person to send me the correct version of the moderator's statement will win an amazing prize...perhaps their own self-chosen forum rank? (Wow, what an honor...) There may possibly be more than one correct answer, but my decision on what constitutes the "correct" version is final.

In order to qualify, please send your entries to my email at tlackey@triton381.com. For those of you awaiting the results with bated breath, I'll post the winner here. The "first" correct answer will be determined by the time stamp on the email.

WOW! How can you resist? The fun here never ends.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Quick contest clarification:

The one response I have received so far is taking this a bit too literally. Despite the first line of the paragraph, the paragraph cannot be corrected without the use of an apostrophe here and there. The key is the correct use thereof.
figment078

Post by figment078 »

isn't it "baited breath"??
Tim

Post by Tim »

figment078 wrote:isn't it "baited breath"??
Nope, though it's a common mistake.

bated: (adj) restrained; checked; lowered; held back; dimished or moderated;
kaynee30

baited breath

Post by kaynee30 »

BAITED BREATH : That exhalation perfumed with the essence of sardines. From the old technique used by lonely sailors to scotch a kiss from attractive seals. (Its practice was short-lived, however, as the result of larger species of toothed orcae taking advantage of convenient feeding opportunities.)