Need cruise ideas, quick!

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Need cruise ideas, quick!

Post by Figment »

We've just learned that my soon-to-be sister in law has scheduled her bridal shower for memorial day weekend. One of those hundred-person all-day affairs. We enthusiastically solicit ideas for a long-weekend cruise!
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Can't help you, but y'all certainly have my sympathy!
The Good Goose
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by The Good Goose »

I always wanted to cruise gardiners bay. We just never made it out there. Seems like that would be an ideal long weekend cruise.

I don't know where you are on long Island but City Island is a day from most places. Leave early spend a day in new york city and sail home. A mooring at the yacht club was $35 a night. Cheaper then Block Island. Anchor the first night. get a mooring in the morning so you can get shore access and a shower if you want. spend the day in the city. I Don't think there is a cheaper way to stay in New york. I was surprised how pleasant the anchorage is there. Give yourself another day and you can go down the east river and sail around the statue of liberty. That was one of the neatest things I've done I just loved it.

Looking for a low key cruise Fishers island, Stoinington, noank and the mystic river. although we used to moor at noank I used to love staying on the boat rowing ashore and getting breakfast at Carson's. Great village to walk in and it felt so different after a night on the boat. If there is no breeze motor up the mystic river another really nice trip. once the wind pipes up around two Head over to fishers Island or Stonington. Depending on the wind anchoring on the back side of Ram island is a great place to spend the night. If you go to stonington sail into little Narraganset bay and over to watch hill. If you've never sailed in there before remember to keep the green can on your left even though it looks like you'll sail right over sandy point. Some times a cruise with short sails is the best. cook good food, hang out on the boat, sail for three or four hours and do it again. YOu come home invigorated instead of exhausted.

Whoever thought of making wedding showers anything but women only should be hunted down. Going to the weddings is bad enough but now we have to endure the shower too. Go on a daysail and have trouble getting back. Luckily you just happened to have food for three days.

Hope you get to cruise

Brock Richardson
jollyboat
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by jollyboat »

Figment - you may consult an etiquette book on this matter as it maybe inappropiate for you to attend such an event on account of your gender or possibly your relationship to the bride to be. (it puts a hex on the couple to be if you attend) Another point of interest is that a case of beer will get the boatyard manager to place an urgent call on the day of the shower, about your boat (someone spilled five gallons of boatzope all over your decks, or something otherwise harmless but would need you attention) that will take up most of your day to 'put to rights'
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

oh it's not a jack-and-jill. I'm in the clear. It's Julia who desperately needs the alibi. My interest is primarily driven by the fact that if she does get roped into attending, I'm going to hear about it for the next two months.

Gardiner's bay is a good idea. I did the off-soundings race there last fall, and it was gorgeous. ok, any body of water is gorgeous when decorated with 120 spinnakers, but still it was much nicer than my memory of visits in the 80's could recall.