Bloody Point

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
windrose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Bloody Point

Post by windrose »

Sailed the ol gal over to Bloody Point today....almost straight across the bay (25 miles)....takes so long to get anywhere because of the traffic around here and then you go out on the bay....bang, you are at the Eastern Shore.

Still very frustrated with the sail set up.... come to find out the previous owner raced with a crew of eight.....SCREAM....things are ridiculous....it seems to be a Chinese fire drill with 2 of us and I want it where I don't have to count on someone else to be able to go sailing.

I got some ^%$# that is coming off, anybody wanna go fast?

Built for comfort, not for speed.
;-)

Ang
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

More details on your set-up? What changes will you make?
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

More details on your set-up? What changes will you make?
Yes, I'd love to hear about that, too.

I mean, holy cow, how do you set up a Triton to need a crew of EIGHT, for cripes sakes (okay, I know, racing, but the way you put it made me laugh :-)

Good to hear you're out sailing, though!

--- Rachel
windrose

Post by windrose »

Well to start with, I don't think 3 jib halyards are necessary for my type of sailing. Think one of the first things to lose is the 3DL head sails with there grooved track. You can't start the sail up the track without someone on the foredeck feeding the sail, the halyard has to stay tight or it gets wrapped with one of the other 2 halyards. I don't like the crinkley sound of the 3DL, seems rather out of place on this boat.

Thinking about a furler.... figure if I sale the 2 3DL head sails, the staysail spinnaker and the two sails for the 7/8's rig I can set the foredeck up with a furler.

Next, I am losing the bolt rope luff on the mainsail, same thing somebody has to feed it up and when you bring it down it comes out of the track and goes straight in the water if there is any breeze. Putting on slugs and a stopper to contain the sail and will install lazy jacks with two legs when I am back on the hard (Plan to add the lazy jacks where the running back stays were attached to the mast, just above the second spreader).

Next, probably take off the boom kicker.... it holds the boom up just enough to keep it out of the cockpit but if there is any fetch running it allows it to bounce around dangerously. There is always a bit of fetch on the bay because the water is so shallow, not to mention there are SO many power boats. Probably go back to a topping lift or at least a pig tail. I currently use the main halyard as a topping lift in addition to the boomkicker.

I am finding I do like the hydraulic backstay tensioner. It allows you to control the weather helm and I do like the reefing clutches in the boom which allows you to do all the reefing right at the mast. Flating reef, really more of a really tight outhaul to spill some wind, first reef clutch on port side, second reef clutch on s.b. side.... this is set up nicely, very handy.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Wow. Sounds like your PO took waaaaaay too long to realize he owned the wrong boat.

Runningbacks on a Triton!!! for WHAT? Post pics of that rig, I'm begging you.

Or did this guy just have too many kids and used all the doodads on the boat to keep them busy and out of his hair?

For singlehanded foresail hoisting, take the halyard forward with you to the foil feeder. Feed the luff into the foil with the right hand, hoist with the left. You'll feel like a onearmed paperhanger the first couple of times, but it works with a bit of practice.

(oh, and I'm guessing that the three halyards are actually two halyards and a spinnaker pole topping lift)
Noah
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Noah »

Sheesh, sounds like all good stuff to me. Can't you run those other halyards back to the mast so they don't tangle?

Also, you can get roller furlers with a luff groove so you can change sails. The trouble with furlers is that they aren't very efficient when you want to "change gears". Unless you switch sails, you end up over powered or with a crappy looking reef in the sail.

Leave the boom kicker on, and add a topping lift to see if you like it. It sounds like the boom kicker isn't big enough for the boat. It should hold the boom up pretty hard. You would then use the vang and sheet to pull it down. Many boom kickers either have a big spring, or use air pressure. Often you can adjust these for more or less lift.

I would be happy with everything but the running backs. I suppose he added those to help get more luff tension on the forestay.

Definitely add the sail track and slugs for the main. Mine is a "Tides Track" system, and it makes raising and lowering the sail a one-handed operation.
I want a shop!
windrose

Post by windrose »

No, the pole lift I have attached to the mast to simply get it out of the way. The jib halyards all run thru blocks at the base of the mast, thru deck oganizers and clutches to winches mounted on top of the doghouse. I have tightened the halyards and secured them out to at the edge of the pulpit, but it stills seems very cluttered.

The organizers (two sets of three) seperate the three jib halyards, the baby stay tensioner, the pole lift and the main. I already took off the running backs, the fantail clutches and fantail winch.

It just seems so cluttered, I set it up where the jib halyard I use and the main are both on the inside (closest to the sliding hatch) on each side.

I will probably never race the boat, maybe in the Good Old Boat regatta, so it feels very excessive.

The PO (actually PO before last, I am the fourth owner I believe) raced her hard on the Great Lakes, he won the Queen's Cup and "supposedly" did well enough in the Mac that they increased the waterline to a minimum of 30', which is when he sold her and moved up to a 30'. However, before he did he had dismasted her original rig, put on the heavy chainplates and the stainless mast beam support, put on a heavier mast head rig which he broke at the lower spreader and then put on the Spar Craft "Super Bendy" that is on her now.

She is overbuilt for my needs, I was just looking for a cruising boat I could fix up when I found her down trodden in the backwoods of Wisconsin and traded a 1988 Catalina 22 for her. I had no idea what I was getting into.
Thank God! ;-)

Everyone seems to encourage me to keep the headsail set up. Maybe I will start with simplifying the main and keep the headsail arrangement for a season and see if it becomes more simple as I use it more.

I asked the PO about the boomkicker when he came to help me set the boat up because the one Figment showed in a photo had much more tension on it than this one does. This one barely has tension on it, but the PO said it was the correct size and the correct installation. I'll take a photo of it and see if you guys think it is correct.... doesn't seem like it to me.

Gotta go to work, catch you guys later.... have a great day. Ang