Singlehanded Sailing Society and the Long Pac

Post your sailing and cruising tips, stories, and ideas here.
markwesti
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Patricia A
Boat Type: Westsail 28

Singlehanded Sailing Society and the Long Pac

Post by markwesti »

Randy Leasure on a Westsail 32 finished this race . He does other SSS races too .
https://www.westsail.org/singlehandedsa ... 81#7769747
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Singlehanded Sailing Society and the Long Pac

Post by atomvoyager »

Challenging sailing conditions up there. That race looks like a good way to get a shakedown in before someone sets out on a first long passage to Hawaii or points south. It made me wonder if there is an equivalent length race or event in the SE US without having to go all the way to Bermuda. The 400 miles from my homeport in Brunswick, GA to Abacos could be a race/rally candidate but maybe not enough active offshore cruising boats here for that and most sailors passing through seem to want to harbor hop or motor down the ICW to points south. I also wonder what tillerpilot he uses on that big heavy W32 - Evo-100 or Pelagic or? He said he had a hard working autopilot which I assumed meant not a windvane. Those big rudders can be a workout for man or machine.
markwesti

Post by markwesti »

I'll ask him what auto pilot he uses , I was surprised to read he was using a electric AP . Yes the rudders are barn door big . When we first got our W28 I did not understand how to sail a cutter . I was getting tremendous weather helm because in a good blow I would sail with main only , that worked on my sloop just fine . I was told that I was doing it backwards and needed to start with reefing the main . So with that the boat balances out , the tiller is firm but the weather helm is gone .
markwesti

Post by markwesti »

OK , I have to admit I didn't watch the utube videos . It's worth typing in the URL . The way Randy was explaining it I thought he was using a electric AP too . To answer the question he uses a Monitor wind vane . Monitor bought Pelagic and the electric Pelagic can be used with the Monitor vane .
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

The Westsail 28 is an impressive and pretty boat. The first one I went aboard was in the early 1980s in Florida that the owner was on his way home after a solo voyage from Chicago to Sri Lanka.

The Pelagic could steer the heavy helm of the W32 probably better than the other tillerpilots and as you say has the option to connect directly to the Monitor for best light air performance. I installed one recently on my boat that can be seen in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yif9JPyBztI
markwesti

Post by markwesti »

It was a fiasco .
<iframe width="627" height="350" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ish81eneG1w" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>