Composting Toilet for a Triton

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
Kiwiwandering
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Kinohi
Boat Type: Triton 28 Hull# 533

Composting Toilet for a Triton

Post by Kiwiwandering »

ATOMVOYAGES please add a sketch of the amazing built-in composting toilet you showed in your YouTube video. Thanks.
Neil
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Composting Toilet for a Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

My Triton's head compartment bulkheads are 1.5" farther apart than this CD27 so you should make the hinged box lid opening wider than on the sketches below for better access. If you want higher resolution sketches you can email me.

Notes:
1. The reason for the recessed footrests is because the Cape Dory 27 has limited space in the head. The toilet bucket needs to be located high enough to clear hull, low enough to provide headroom when sitting, and not protrude into the walkway. If you have more space on a larger boat then you can build a simpler version with straight front panel or with a footrest attached in front. Or you may be able to locate the toilet facing forward rather than inboard as we did on a Cape Dory 36. If your bulkheads are farther apart than the 25 5/8” on this CD27 then you should make the hinged box lid opening wider for better access.
2. Top of 5-gal toilet bucket is 3 ¼” below hinged box lid. Bucket is recessed 1” into floor panel until it touches hull and is also supported with an overhanging ring of wood under the bottom. Bucket is notched on forward top edge to clear urine diverter.
3. Urine bottle is recessed 3” into floor panel.
4. Urine diverter has a grinded to fit ½” plastic mushroom thru-hull glued to outlet to reach top of urine bottle.
5. Toilet paper holder and bag of compost material can fit inside of cabinet door.
Attachments
Dry Toilet CD27 3 small.jpg
Dry Toilet CD27 2 small.jpg
Dry Toilet CD27 1 small.jpg
CD27 Toilet 3kb32.jpg
CD27 Toilet 1kb35.jpg
Kiwiwandering
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Kinohi
Boat Type: Triton 28 Hull# 533

Re: Composting Toilet for a Triton

Post by Kiwiwandering »

Sounds like a great set up! Thanks for the great drawings. The YouTube video is very informational also. I guess I can use the seat on the toilet that is there. It will be wonderful to get rid of it and the Lectrasan(sp) treatment plant. Then to fill in those thru hull holes! Less holes the better.
Neil