Masthead casting

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
hansjthomas
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Solitude
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Masthead casting

Post by hansjthomas »

Folks
I am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for the masthead casting for a masthead-rigged triton? Attached is a picture of my existing casting, which is corroded and chipped on one side. I haven’t talked to rig-rite yet but they seem to be the go-to for thin HD a like this. I’m also open to machining something as well.

Regards Hans
Attachments
Picture of<br />My<br />Masthead
Picture of
My
Masthead
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom

Re: Masthead casting

Post by atomvoyager »

There's only a small chance you'll find one off the shelf that fits. I never had luck with rig-rite because the discontinued items they list they didn't actually hove available when I contacted them. I haven't seen a masthead fitting of that exact design but it looks strong enough in its design at least. The stainless and aluminum have likely welded themselves together with corrosion. Unless you see something else like cracks it's probably secure and might be best to leave it as is and check it each year. Otherwise, a local metal fab shop could make something for you based on the old one or your new design.
hansjthomas

Post by hansjthomas »

Thanks! It is definitely quite firmly attached. I’m considering replacing it with something similar to what was shown in the osprey refit video. How specific is that sort of masthead to the section? It looks somewhat generic as long as the sheaves lead fair especially the main halyard. Is that a standard part from someone?
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom

Post by atomvoyager »

The new mast on Trion Osprey was Z351 from US Spars in Gainesville, FL. The masthead fitting is for internal halyards and the chances of it fitting some other older mast are remote. Modern mast sections are all different shape from older designs like yours. Unfortunately there is no standard shape.
hansjthomas

Post by hansjthomas »

Ok thanks. I figured nothing is going to quite line up. Well at least I got the old casting off the spar this afternoon after a lot of penetrating oil and heat. I’ll see what the riggers at Svendsens can do with it.