Bow Roller

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
Ron
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Sloopy
Boat Type: Triton 28

Bow Roller

Post by Ron »

I’m getting ready to mount my new anchor roller on the bow of the boat. I know it needs to be in line of the anchor locker but I’m a little lost on how far to mount the over hang. I’m thinking it’s all according to the shank length on the ancho but I haven’t got the right anchor yet that I’m going to use. I think the most common for this size boat is 35 lbs
If some body knows how much overhang would be the best all round number it would be greatly appreciated
svMira
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Mira
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Re: Bow Roller

Post by svMira »

I went with a 35lb Mantus on my wanderer. So far I'm happy with it for the area that I anchor in.
I build a mock up and took measurements. Heads-up, the templates on the web & supplied with the Mantus don't have the same shank as the actual anchor. So my faithful model build was all for not. I don't know how else to do it. Of course you are looking for a clean drop, but the surprising thing is interference on top? If you get all smart and tuck it in tight, does the shank flip up and crack into the bottom of the roller furler as it launches?
From my experience this quite a 3D problem that almost requires two to play with the actual anchor at the end of the boat to get a feel for the kind of space needed.
What ever you do, make sure you don't use any non-stainless brushes on your custom welded bow roller, like I did. Now I have surface rust on mine. Grrrrrr.
Marvin - s/v Mira - 1971 Pearson Wanderer #174
svmira.ca
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

I agree with Marvin here that having the anchor on hand is best. But since I've already done several roller installations for these size anchors, and wanting the roller to be positioned so it will work with a variety of anchors from Delta, ,Mantus, Rocna, 33lb Spade (as on Atom) etc, I found that 4" from forward tip of stemhead to center of bolt on roller is about right for the Triton or Alberg 30 and most other boats. I would not go beyond 4.5" because the anchor overhangs too much during storage. there may still be situations where and anchor coming up too fast or swinging out of control could nick the hull paint but I haven't had a problem at 4". I think most daysailing Triton owners without a windlass choose these type anchors in the 10 kg to 25lb range but that is a touch undersized on a cruising boat so 30-35lb is my choice. Here's a good view of the roller I did on a Triton at the 1:30 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pixDwrC-BZM
Ron
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Sloopy
Boat Type: Triton 28

Post by Ron »

Thank you Marvin and James for the reply very much appreciated as always