Stern Tube

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
kowens
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Dragonfly
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Stern Tube

Post by kowens »

Hi.

My Triton has a cracked fiberglass stern tube. Multiple cracks radiate forward from the aft end of the tube. The longest I have found yet penetrates forward of the deadwood into the tube about an inch. Some seem to have been caused by the cutlass bearing set screws being cranked down on a bearing without dimples. The cutlass bearing easily spins in the tube probably from rotating with the shaft.

I don't know if its the original tube. It's 2 inch OD and 1.5 inch ID. The boat was re-powered with a Yanmar 2gm20f before I purchased her. Being a newbie, I wanted to ask, Is it safe to repair such damage or should I replace the entire tube?

Thanks for any advise,
Ken.
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom

Re: Stern Tube

Post by atomvoyager »

I'm not an engine guy but if the tube is not falling apart or leaking into the bilge you should be able to add some fiberglass around the outside of the tube and around the hull to strengthen it. Then check the shaft alignment is not causing vibration. Maybe someone else with more engine experience can tell you more about it.
hansjthomas
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Solitude

Post by hansjthomas »

Ken
What did you end up doing with your stern tube?

Hans
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom

Post by atomvoyager »

Since it was no longer needed I cut the tube off flush on the outside and plugged both ends with a wood plug and thickened epoxy and glassed in the prop aperture. I'd have done something less permanent if there was any chance at all that it would be needed again. But you have an inboard engine so that doesn't apply.
hansjthomas
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Solitude

Post by hansjthomas »

The fewer holes the better!