Aries windvane

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
Ron
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Sloopy
Boat Type: Triton 28

Aries windvane

Post by Ron »

I bought an Aries wind vane off eBay for my Triton I think it will work on there alright but I thinking I’m going to have to shorten the ruder shaft a little and take the mounting brackets to a machine shop and have them cut and welded at a new angle. I only got two of the clamps with the unit that are about an 1 1/2 inch tube clamp that mounts it to the transom. I would like to get two more of those.
To better explain they look like squeeze clamps for pipe. I seen pic of one mounted on a Triton that was on the yahoo group site that was closed down and it looked like a nice install.
I’ve inquired about a rebuild kit but none are available at this time. (Sold out) there seems to be a little slop In this one but the last owner swears by the performance when last used on a 1800 mile trip bringing the boat back to its home port.
I’m a novice so should I go ahead with this unit or resale and find something else that still has parts available?
I hate to give up on a perfectly Good working windvane witch is all I’m after any way.
svMira
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Mira
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Re: Aries windvane

Post by svMira »

Not sure what your construction/build/repair experience is, but it might put you in good stead to make friends with a local metal shop. I can handle the very basic metal stuff, but don't have the setup or experience to work with stainless. So, I made a connection with a local shop and now I can send them a .DXF file and get custom laser cut stainless or aluminum stuff for the boat. I get them to do any welding or bending, It has been really sweet. Sounds like if you could find that kind of connection, your wind vane problems might be solvable.
The only part that hurts a bit is paying for the labour when I've done so much DIY for so long. It feels a bit like giving up. But, I have to do the accounting and admit to myself that I can't justify the $'s for the fancy tools to become a machine shop for the few pieces that I need. And besides, the garage is full.
The other thing is, don't under estimate how aluminum and nylon can be worked with wood tools.
Marvin - s/v Mira - 1971 Pearson Wanderer #174
svmira.ca
Ron

Post by Ron »

I have a couple shops local that I might could get some quotes from. I’m the same way I’ve only had maybe three jobs done professionally by a professional. One was a taxidermy, a decal cut out to specs and dentistry work crowns and fillings but before use him I tried the over the counter filling paste. Lol
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

If you can afford a new or at least newer windvane with all the parts then I'd go that route. But sounds like you are DIY and on a tight budget so you should be able to get the old Aries working. If yours is the early 1980s version like the one I had on my Triton, it came with 4 sets of two clamp mounts. I don't know if you have one set of two pieces or two sets of two. If you have two sets you can use them for the upper mount on each side. For the missing two lower sets you might buy stock 2" aluminum angle, two pieces per set, and install one on each side of the tube and bolt thru the tube. You'll have to measure and determine if 2" angle is tall enough or get something bigger. This is plenty strong for the lower mounts and maybe even good for the uppers but clamp mounts may be needed for the uppers since drilling a hole thru them at that point weakens them in that higher stress area.

Here's a shot of Atom rounding the South African Cape with an Aries.
Attachments
StormCape01.jpg
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

Here's a shot of the same Aries I took off Atom and added to my friend's Taipan 28, which I then sailed for him from Venezuela to Brazil via an Atlantic circle.
Attachments
Taipan 28
Taipan 28
Ron

Post by Ron »

Thank you for the input. I see what your saying and make perfect since the lower half not having as much stress on it. I have the two clamps for the upper. It’s funny you responding today because I was just listening to your audio book today while working on my boat and caught the part where you donated your windvane to Theo when you bought your self a new one. I think the only complaint you mentioned was while using it down wind it would bare off course at times.
Thanks again James