New owner with questions 1959 #16

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
Sailormanbigd
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Panama Jane
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #16

New owner with questions 1959 #16

Post by Sailormanbigd »

Hi everyone! Nice to have a resource like this for such an old sailboat. I just purchased 1959 #16 from a big guy who wanted a bigger boat. I’m bigger than him, but want a smaller boat. Anyway, the eBay listing suggested to replace the standing rigging and chain plates. What is the best source for this rigging? Is the 316 wire from Amazon (cheap) any good? Example 500 feet 1/8inch 1x19 for 85$. Is the crimp on collars good enough or do I need the big money swagged or swageless fitting? What size is recommended? 1/8”, 3/16”, or 1/4”. Back stay is split. The PO told me that the boat originally was a yawl but rear mast removed. The rigging has forestay with some galvanized chain and the split backstays has a few feet of rope on ends that attach to deck. I hope that’s because they swapped shorter mainmast of yawl rig with the taller sloop mast? The boat is on the hard in Deltaville ,VA and I’m in central gulf coast of Florida so it’s a 13 hour drive to see/check boat. I plan a trip in March to work on it a bit and survey for needed repairs before heading south along Coastal Atlantic to end up somewhere closer and cheap to store/restore it before retirement cruising in 2 years.
The listing did mention foredeck softness so there is that. There is an A4 that was running 2 years ago when put up, and a 6hp Tohatsu sailpro new in the box with Mr Baldwin’s plans for creating outboard well, so I will have that as well. I think I would like to keep the A4 as the primary aux power source after sailing that is! The outboard for calm low wind where fuel economy is welcomed. I don’t like any motor at all period, but a back-up for the A4 is nice to have if it doesn’t create poor sailing performance or too much maintain experience keeping 2 motors running? The boat came with new in box electric auto pilot Simrad I think? The smaller one. I like the idea of wind vane autopilot but they are way too much money for me. Never sailed a Triton but hear good things and not so good things? Points pretty good, can ghost along in light air, but has weather helm? The vids I have seen don’t appear to be using significant effort on tiller? Long winded post I know, sorry but I’m damned excited. I would like to change the ports from aftermarket plastic back to bronze if they are not too pricey? Anyone aware of original bronze or aftermarket bronze replacements that don’t cost a fortune. I think the bronze is sexy and salty and a much better fit for a 1959 classic! Well, thanks for being here and listening to my ranting. Feel free to give advice or comment as you like.
steveagnew
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Artemis
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: New owner with questions 1959 #16

Post by steveagnew »

I own Triton 703, one of the last built. I've been following on You tube "Acorn to Arabella". the guys are building a 38' wooden sailboat. They cut up a Triton to get the lead keel to use in their boat. They saved all hardware. I believe it is for sale. It is bronze. My triton has aluminum hardware. contact them. good luck
LuckyBag
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Lucky Bag
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: New owner with questions 1959 #16

Post by LuckyBag »

Hi Sailormanbigd, how's #16 coming? Have you had a chance to visit and work on? Just curious because you seem as excited as I was when I recently purchased #663.
Dan