Triton battery arrangements

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
Crazer
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Clio
Boat Type: Rhodes Swiftsure 33

Triton battery arrangements

Post by Crazer »

The only battery arrangement I've seen on the half dozen Tritons I've looked at is the standard "battery forward of the engine" situation which, as has been pointed out by others, is not really the safest or most ideal arrangement. My question is, what have others done about this? I believe some have moved the batteries to the space aft of the cockpit lockers, where my icebox currently is. Obviously, since I still have an icebox this is a bit of an issue. I could see sticking them (my boat has two batteries set up right now) in the cockpit lockers if I built a proper box for them, but that seems like it might be a little difficult to access. I haven't really tried messing around with trying to get into various places one might put a pair of batteries, but going from memory it seems like it'd be a bit of a fight to install and service the batteries through the cockpit locker. I'm not sure this is even a good idea. One idea I had is to keep them where they are, but get them into a proper box and just extend the lower step out to cover the second battery. Not sure how this might work, but that seems like the best plan considering the current layout of my boat. Thoughts?
As eccentric as my boat.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33
SV Clio
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Triton battery arrangements

Post by Rachel »

Have you seen James and Mei Baldwin's Triton pages? Their boat, "Atom" has the extended bottom step and I believe they have four T-105 golf-cart batteries therein (which is a nice, hefty bank). I think also Britton here might have done something similar on his Triton, "Jenny."

Here is some info and a link on Atom's version. You can see the extended lower step:

"I found the companionway ladder awkward and replaced it with a small center step. By extending the ex-engine locker forward I gained storage space and allowed the counter to serve as top step and the battery box as bottom step. We carry four 6-volt Trojan batteries supplying 440 AH."

About Atom

One consideration when putting battery(s) in a non-centered location is that a large group may be heavy enough to give you a list; yet if you separate them (to both sides) it's not advantageous for the wiring.
Crazer
Topside Painter

Post by Crazer »

Ah, should've thought to check there. The only place I checked was the Triton class MIR page and, of course, on Glissando. I hadn't considered the wiring issue with regards to placing them in the cockpit lockers, I was just repeating what I'd seen others do. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of extending the bottom step.
As eccentric as my boat.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33
SV Clio
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Northstar wrote: James/Atom has removed the inboard engine and even though I could not find a statement...I wonder if he encroached the "engine space" when he installed the 4 105's?
Good point - I would bet that he has. Four T-105's would take up a bit of space.
Crazer
Topside Painter

Post by Crazer »

That second photo shows the arrangement I think I'll be using. Seems like the most straightforward thing to do. Does anyone have a lead on a place to buy plastic battery boxes? I guess maybe I should check the usual suspects to start...
As eccentric as my boat.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33
SV Clio
SayGudday
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Windswept #92
Boat Type: Triton

Post by SayGudday »

When i first got my Triton the batteries were under the starboard bunk in wooden frames to keep them in place.