Copper handrails?

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
Tallystick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Nostalgia
Boat Type: Pearson Triton Yawl

Copper handrails?

Post by Tallystick »

Are these copper handrails an original part? My boat came with three of them and there are screw holes in companionway exterior trim that identifies the location of two of them, but I don't know where the third goes and if I'm missing a copper handrail.
Attachments
100_0230.JPG
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Re: Copper handrails?

Post by MikeD »

Maybe on the front edge of your sliding hatch?
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Hulukupu
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

I haven't seen anything like those on a Triton. The pictured one looks hardware-store-made and badly corroded, at that. Do you really want to put it back on? Consider smaller solid brass handles or teak. My Triton has the latter.
Tallystick
Boat Name: Nostalgia
Boat Type: Pearson Triton Yawl

Post by Tallystick »

Well I'm not certain that I'll put them back on, but they might go well with the rest of my boat. The windows and ports are all stripped down to the bronze and polished nicely, and I'm using bronze carriage bolts with capnuts for thru-bolting. I painted the cabin and deck navy grey, so copper would look nice with that. I do have extra teak however, and the coamings, cabin rails int. & ext., mizzen support, winch supports, and boomkin are all teak, so teak companionway handrails would also go well with the boat. The third possibility would be rosewood handrails to match the new companionway.

I like the flanges on the copper handrails, but the 90deg bends are standard plumbing fittings. Grinding and polishing to smooth them out might be an improvement.

Thanks for the welcome Northstar!