Overall depth on Triton?

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
cdawgs65
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Ring
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 559

Overall depth on Triton?

Post by cdawgs65 »

Hello again just reaching out for more info, off hand does anyone know the measurement from the toe-rail to the bottom of the keel? Boats in the water and it's 45 minutes away so thought this might be quicker, thanks in advance
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Overall depth on Triton?

Post by Rachel »

Using the layout drawing and a drinking-straw wrapper (I'm at a cafe), I get about the same length as the berths.... so maybe 6' or a shade over.

Figured maybe that would help until someone can actually measure :)

Are you documenting your Triton? If so, another way to get workable figures is to look up the names of a/some documented Triton(s), because they show the dimensions that were used. You can do that here by name (and there is another site variation where you can do it by number, if you have that).

http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/CoastGu ... yName.html

Rachel
cdawgs65
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Ring
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 559

Post by cdawgs65 »

Yes documenting, this is great, it's always those little things that stop you to say, crap, now what!
Drew
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Drew »

Using the layout drawing and a drinking-straw wrapper (I'm at a cafe),
Rachel/knower of all things boaty,

Do you have 11"x17" Triton lines drawings in your pocket or something? :)

Drew
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Heh, no, I just happen to have a copy of the layout drawing on my computer, and I was in a coffee shop soaking up A/C and surfing the web when I read the post.

So, 81".... My estimate was a little short, although I suppose the boats without the wooden toerail might be 79" or so (and maybe the bunks are 78"? I figured they must be at least 72" if not more).

I can't remember though.... it might be the measurement to the top of the deckline that they want, instead of the toerail? I think it's supposed to represent how much cargo you could (theoretically) fit in the boat (not that anyone is likely to quibble over that small a difference).
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Just remember that every Triton is little different and I haven't seen one conform to the lines drawings yet. If the assymetry between the two hull sides is any indication the actual hull could be way off from the drawings. If you are just supplying measurements for documentation I imagine the accuracy isn't that critical.

One of these days I am going to loft out a cross section and match it up to my hull. I am positive it won't be even close.

External vs internal ballast could change that height dimension by several inches as well. The keel shape is quite different between the two models. I believe the MkI drawings floating around are for the external ballast. The MkII drawings were never made into a boat so be extra careful there too.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog