Triton numbers

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
Carl-A259
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Romper
Boat Type: Pearson Triton hull705

Triton numbers

Post by Carl-A259 »

Does any one know how many Tritons were built? I recently ,well, today purchased purchased 705 that would seem to be near the end of the run.
Last edited by Carl-A259 on Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Re: Triton numbers

Post by bcooke »

Reports vary but 709 is most likely the last one built in 1969. I think the production run actually ended in 1967 but 709 was reportedly built for a Pearson supervisor/foreman/somethinglikethat with some customizing (raised sole with only 5 feet of headroom for example) 2 years after production ended.

Gratz on aquiring a special Triton ;) Is there any information you can provide about your boat that would help fill in production details? Year built, any change in structure, etc.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Congrats on your new boat!

Just out of curiosity, is that "Gulnare"?
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Gulnare is #709. The last known Triton ever built.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
Carl-A259
Master Varnisher

Post by Carl-A259 »

Here's the link to pictures, It is confusing, I looked at 696 (?) a couple weeks ago and the owner claimed it was a 1969 model This agent says this 705 is a 1967... It's supposedly a one owner who died. I'll pick it up in about three weeks after altering my bigger trailer from an Ariel toter to a Triton.
Attachments
705-1.jpg
Last edited by Carl-A259 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Thanks, Britton. I was thinking Gulnare was the last Triton built (it was for sale way back when I was first looking at sailboats - I think this would have been around 1998 or so).

I'm remember it did not have the two forward facing ports, but... was it a dinette layout? Because this one (in the photos) looks like a factory opposing-settee layout. This one also looks like it has the older-style toe-rail, but I don't remember about Gulnare.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

I think 705 is the 5th Triton I have seen without forward ports. Pearson would leave them out per customer request and I imagine some people have filled them in over the years too. I am not sure why, I like mine and they improve ventilation in the saloon. (just don't forget they hold water as you are opening them...)

Yes, from what I have read, #709 was a special order with a dinette, shower, and 5' 5" headroom. I bet there are more variations but that's all I have read about. #705 looks pretty stock to me. Nice and clean actually.

Now, the toe rail got my attention. My Triton (680) had a factory wood toerail but it wasn't like the one on #705. I would be curious if the one on #705 is original because that would indicate another change very late in the production run.

From everything I have read, I would be pretty confident in saying #705 was built in 1967. As you wrote Carl, there is a lot of different stories out there and you have to gather a lot before the real story emerges.

Rachel, is there a boat anywhere you don't know some story about? :-P
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
Carl-A259
Master Varnisher

Post by Carl-A259 »

Thanks, Thank You Glenn for letting me step onto your Triton, in just those couple of minutes I knew this was the size boat I wanted. The thickness of the hull in comparison to the Ariel definitely sent me on a hunt for a Triton. I was surprised to find one so pristine for a 45 yr old boat. With 3 Electras, 2 Ariels and this Triton, I am done rescuing Pearson boats and checking out the classifieds.... !! Time to float one.
Carl-A259
Master Varnisher

Post by Carl-A259 »

I finally picked up 705 and got to look at it, since it was purchased unseen except for photos. This boat has a full headliner from stem to stern. The toerail does indeed appear to be factory as the bow stem fitting bolts over the top of the rail and the forward edge seems molded into the hull. The boat has not been registered since 1997 and has been sitting as long. It really is in remarkable shape. The deck is solid and there are no traces of water leaking in. The stanchions are all solid. What seemed odd is no winch for the main on the mast, even my Electras and Ariels have one. It has a defunct A 4 with fresh water cooling. The real problem area is the cockpit sole, it needs recoring, The drains probably stopped up and the water flooded it. So let's see ,,, take my highest estimate for all repairs, double it, add 50% and that should get the project off the ground!!
Carl-A259
Master Varnisher

Post by Carl-A259 »

Glenn...... Ahh you're scaring me.. (LOL) . I'll get to work on the photos Thanks again
TritonSean
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Jenny Marie, #308
Boat Type: 1963 Pearson Triton

Post by TritonSean »

added up my receipts last night.... I paid 5 K for the boat have put in 3.5 K and barely made a
dent in what needs to be done. .. alot of money goes into paint, epoxy and bedding compound. Nickel and dime stuff.
captphil416
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Deep Blue
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by captphil416 »

Sean; A friend of mine restored an old Owens Aruba powerboat and kept meticulous records. To his suprise 50% of his expenses were expendables, sandpaper, mixing cups, on and on. Last time I checked with him he was well over $100,000. Of course his electrical system alone was just slightly more complex than a nuclear power plant. Hang in there, and you will be proud of the results. Phil
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

Phil,
I was told last week that Dave's Owens Aruba is sunk over in Mill Creek Just upstream from the tug boat docks. Evidently the new owners did not do much maintenance after she was launched. What a shame!
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
captphil416
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Deep Blue
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by captphil416 »

Dick; That is sad news. On board was 2 454 Chevys/ transmissions in perfect condition, a 5or 10 kw generator, 2 new Blue Sea 12v panels with over 30 breakers each. Miles of copper wire all in conduit, about 8 of the largest bilge pumps rule makes. The list is endless. The marina could have made a small fortune parting her out, but instead gave her to a family of bums. Can't tell you how many hours I and C.G. Bill spent trying to help out on her. At least we saved his son's Catalina 27. See you in 1 week Phil
Command_1
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Post by Command_1 »

Does any one know the history or about hull #416 Cocomo?

Thanks
Antonio
Nossa Senhora da Conceicao
Pearson Triton 1961 Hull #195 (Formerly Winsome)
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

The only thing I know about #416 was that in 2005 it was owned by Steve Haimbach and named "Deep Blue". I got that info off either the NTA database or NETA database but that's all I have.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

Triton 416 (Deep Blue) was most recently sailed by the late "captphil416" (Phil Prosser) who was a member of this list and passed away on Dec 5, 2011. Phil had recently completed a two year cruise of the "North Atlantic Loop" in June 2010. Deep Blue is on the hard in her home port of Solomons, MD and the last time I spoke with Phil's widow she did not intend to do anything with Deep Blue until spring of 2012 as she lives in Colorado and will not be coming east untill spring.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Command_1
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Post by Command_1 »

Thanks for the answers.
But if #416 is Deep Blue, then what hull number is the one advertized for sale at
http://sancarlosyachtsales.com/ they say its 416 named Cocomo, can anyone shed some light on this highly modified Triton?
Thanks
Antonio
Nossa Senhora da Conceicao
Pearson Triton 1961 Hull #195 (Formerly Winsome)
Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

Hi Antonio,
I went to the link you provided for Triton Cocomo and could not find any mention of a hull number. Perhaps they corrected the listing or, more likely, I'm just blind.
In any case, hull number identification on 50-yr old boats are suspect. You might have more luck tracking down her history on the Triton User Group forum (where you also posted this question), as they have a number of participants who've spent time in Mexico and would have noticed such a distinctive-looking Alberg boat.

I note that CaptPhil416 made one of his last PCF contributions to this thread- I enjoyed his posts and will sorely miss the opportunity to hear in detail about his 2-year Atlantic voyage.
David