year of manufacture

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
captphil416
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Deep Blue
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

year of manufacture

Post by captphil416 »

Deep Blue has a clear Maryland title for the year 1962. My hull number is 416 and this does not seem to fit with other hull numbers and year of manufacture posted by other forum users. Can anyone help? Phil
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: year of manufacture

Post by Rachel »

That hull number seems more like it would be sometime in (at least) 1963.

What clues have given you the hull number of 416?
Conversely, what points to 1962 - just the title?

Another point of interest (among many possible): Does your boat have top or side opening cockpit lockers?
Last edited by Rachel on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando

Post by Tim »

Your boat may not fit into what we (i.e. other Triton owners who have made unsuccessful attempts to clear up confusion over years/hull numbers) think it should, but with clear title in a given year, and documentation to support it, I see no reason to worry about it. Frankly, no one can really put definite years/hull numbers together anyway; every time one tries to prove a rule, another exception crops up. It's futile.

Records-keeping and proper numerical order of production seem to be elusive qualities when it comes to old Pearsons (and other boats of the era).
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
captphil416
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Deep Blue

Post by captphil416 »

Thanks for the input. The manufacture's plaque is still intact and clear. She has top opening lockers.
I was just curious, as one likes to know as much as possible about a beloved boat. Phil
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

According to all good info Renegade 51 (Hirilondë as per the builders plate) had to have been built in 1967. The registration that came with the boat said 1968. It was a lot easier to get my RI title by just going with the documentation I had instead of trying to prove otherwise. It might have been amusing to have the correct year on my title, but......"Frankly Scarlet, I don't give a damn".
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Triton 53
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Alli-Ann
Boat Type: Triton

Post by Triton 53 »

I think it is possible that if a boat was built in one year and then was shipped to a dealer, then was not sold until the next calendar year, the dealer could have sold it as being a new boat from the year it was first sold.

When I bought Alli-Ann (#53), the bill of sale lists her as a 1961 Pearson Triton and I felt the same as Dave, it was much easier to go with that than to try and show the real year of build.

Pete
"Alli-Ann" Triton #53
Edgewood Yacht Club

Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.
Wernher von Braun
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

Triton 53 wrote:I think it is possible that if a boat was built in one year and then was shipped to a dealer, then was not sold until the next calendar year, the dealer could have sold it as being a new boat from the year it was first sold.
Yes, or it could be based on different years for the hull lay-up vs. the finishing of the boat.

I did some research on Paceships a few years ago, which clarified that they assigned serial numbers based on when the hull was laid up, and years of manufacture based on when the boat was completed.

There are also cases where, in the absence of the original documentation, boats were registered based on the year they were sold to the next owner.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
todd gustafson
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Rosie
Boat Type: Tartan 27

Post by todd gustafson »

In the case of my Pearson Ensign ''Flying Cloud'' #1772 built in 1983, records indicate that it was the second to last (Ensign) built by Pearson..... and hull #1776 was built in 1982 . Seems to me even though the hulls were molded with the hull # on the transom the boats might not have been given a "year built" until when finished.

Not sure if other models like the Triton were treated in the same manner....?

Todd
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

I raced a good number of years in several small boat one design classes and was the class chief measurer for one. In one design classes with several builders it is not unusual for a single builder to apply to the class association for a block of hull numbers paying the royalty fees to the class for all boats to be built using these hull numbers. As you can imagine, with several builders of the same class of boat, hull numbers can get out of sequence quite easily depending upon the number of hulls coming from each builder and the dates of completion. I don't know if this happens with cruising boats where there is more than one builder of a particular design, but if so it might explain some of the mysteries in hull numbers.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Carl-A259
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Romper
Boat Type: Pearson Triton hull705

Post by Carl-A259 »

I know this is a little late, but back in the 60's the dealer could actually list the year for the title OR bill of sale for the year the vessel actually sold. There was no build date coded into the VIN.
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Anyone know of any source for pearson/ allied grumman in 1962?

My boat is 50 this year...but I'd love to know her hull number. No hull plate, no numbers under the drawers or hidden spots. Coast guard documented so that is the "number" we use.

Thanks!

Ric
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~