Foredeck camber and mast beam radius

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
miltonb
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Natana
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Foredeck camber and mast beam radius

Post by miltonb »

Hello all,
I am on the verge of taking the plunge in regard to a recore effort on #88 Natana.
The foredeck seems to have settled to a zero camber situation, I suspect it should not be so. Does anyone have an idea as to a radius that I should attempt to restore during this endeavor? I've scoured the internet to no avail. Additionally, I would like to prebuild a replacement mast beam; rather than take Natana out of service. Having said that, what radius would be appropriate taking this approach? The inner skin under the mast is rather deformed, thus my template making efforts have been fruitless.

Thank You.
Milt Brown
#88 Natana
Popeye1865
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Re: Foredeck camber and mast beam radius

Post by Popeye1865 »

camber on mine is fairly flat at the mast base inside and out
when I made a new mast beam I templated the interior using strips of luan getting as close to the shape as possible. I set up a jig and bent strips of mahogany. mahogany holds glue better than oak and is adequate for the loads there. I beleive mine is 2.5" wide and 3" tall (ballpark). I then did some shaping to get the fit fairly good then wrapped it in packing tape and buttered up the fwd bulkhead and cabin roof with ample amounts of thickened epoxy cabosil and microfibers. pressed it into place and wedged it there. the next day i popped out the beam. perfect fit then i just made up support beams and bolted it to the fwd bulkhead.

Brandon