Foam filled mast?

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Foam filled mast?

Post by Zach »

Questions! Always questions...

Show of hands how many Tritons out there have foam filled masts from one end to the other?
Mine is solid full... My anchor lights wire is toast, and so is my masthead light. I'm pondering how to ream out the foam and successfully pull a new one. May have to see what will chemically dissolve the foam...

Were any rigged with internal halyards? I'm having trouble procuring a pad-eye for an external halyard for the jib... Mine is mostly cast aluminum, where it hasn't been worn away. Spinnaker padeye is a custom stainless jobber with a bunch of screws holding it in place.

Is the extrusion the same as the Alberg 30?

Thanks guys,

Zach
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
Triton 185
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: O'day Mariner, Pearson Triton

Re: Foam filled mast?

Post by Triton 185 »

Hi Zach....the original mast on Triton 185 has no foam in the extrusion. I still have the mast, but have replaced it with a new one.
"The more you know, the less you need."
Yvon Chouinard
fusto
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Erebus
Boat Type: Apollo 16

Post by fusto »

I once had to rewire a Pearson (not a triton, 80's vintage) and the mast had huge foam blocks in it. I think three-ish.
Ended up making a hole saw out of a piece of looong PVC pipe.
Worked amazingly well.
Zachary
Adams, MA
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

The mast on 188 is filled with chunks of soft foam. It resists getting pulled out and the mast wiring is anchored along the inside of the mast, making wiring changes more difficult than it seems it should be.
David
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

Thanks guys!

I'll rig up a hole saw and see how much foam is really in there.

Zachary,

I'm envisioning a hole saw arbor, hole saw that slips inside our outside the pipe... no drill bit, and a bolt through the holes in the saw... How did you rig yours?

Thanks!
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
Drew
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Drew »

Perhaps you could cut some teeth onto a pvc coupling with a coping saw or die grinder w/ carbide burr to use as the hole saw. it would just stick right onto the end of the PVC pipe.

I thing that the main issue will be chip removal. You will have to cut a little then pull the whole rig out and get rid of some foam, rinse and repeat until done.

drew
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Drew wrote:Perhaps you could cut some teeth onto a pvc coupling with a coping saw or die grinder w/ carbide burr to use as the hole saw. it would just stick right onto the end of the PVC pipe.
I bet that would work well. I do something similar to roll pins and use in a drill motor to extract screws.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.