Prop and shaft size?

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
Scott
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Prop and shaft size?

Post by Scott »

The Triton I purchased had the A4, shaft seal, cutless bearing, shaft and prop removed and I have been looking for info on what size shaft, prop etc I am going to need to replace it. This is not something I am planning to do right away, however I would like to know what I will need in the event I come across some of these things at a reasonable cost between now and then. I suspect that a retrofit can vary somewhat from the original arrangement, but at least that would give me a starting point. Any imput or advise would be appreciated.
Have recently purchased Pearson Triton which I will be restoring over the coming months/years!
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Prop and shaft size?

Post by Tim »

There are no hard and fast rules, nor absolute specific sizes.

Guidelines:

7/8" or 1" shaft

Coupling size dependent on engine (transmission) coupling size and shaft size. Don't get a coupling till you have an engine, and ensure that the coupling and shaft sizes are compatible.

Shaft length dependent on exact engine location; if buying used, figure on a 24" minimum length to be safe (which you can have cut down as needed)

1-1/2" ID FRP tubing is readily available and is a good choice for a stern tube. Cutless bearing size and stuffing box specifications will depend on the stern tube you have, or what you choose. Again, don't buy any parts till you have the stern tube in hand (or in place)
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Scott
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Scott »

Thanks Tim, What about prop size? but I'd guess this would be a topic for discussion. What would be a good three bladed prop or how well does the two bladed prop work. I suspect there would be considerable prop walk as there was with the two bladed prop on my Ericson 29.
Have recently purchased Pearson Triton which I will be restoring over the coming months/years!
barrybrown
Master Varnisher

Post by barrybrown »

If you are reinstalling the A-4 you might want to look at the Indigo propellers made specifically for atomic 4s.
Also if going with 3 blade have the shaft as short as possible to facilitate removal, it can be done but it is close.
Barry
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

I have the prop shaft, coupling, and shaft log off Pylasteki if you want them... I went to an outboard.
Uh... I also have the stainless steel 3 blade prop from Indigo. Grin.

I'll have to measure and see what size they are.

Zach
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
Scott
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Scott »

Hi Zack, Sounds good. Where are you located? I am in Nova Scotia and my boat is in Conn. for now.