Triton Coamings - EC

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
sscoll
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Medora Jane
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #532 E.C.

Triton Coamings - EC

Post by sscoll »

I'm not seeing anything specific to coaming removal/install in the topics discussed. Bill Bell made some good points in the MIR. Other references are regarding making and installing new replacements.

Mine have wood plugs over the fasteners and before I start digging into them I'm curious what other people have experienced when they have had occasion to take their coamings off for refinishing.

I doubt that 532's have ever been off the boat.

Has anyone a prediction as to what I'm going to encounter as I start to figure out how they come off?
Thanks.
Steve
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Triton Coamings - EC

Post by Tim »

Could be anything--there's no telling how they might have been originally installed, or whether things have changed over the years. The only consistency in Tritons is inconsistency.

Expect the fasteners to be self-tapping screws, except possibly the forwardmost one, which could be a through-bolt (visible by peering around the corners of the galley at the bridgedeck).

You could well have sealant behind the coamings, which might be tough to release. Only trying will tell you.

New coamings are easy and inexpensive to build, so don't sweat the removal too much.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

wha? "simple" perhaps, but mine were not "easy" and certainly not "inexpensive"! :)

(all the same, he's right. If they need to be off, just get them off.)
Triton 53
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Alli-Ann
Boat Type: Triton

Post by Triton 53 »

I took mine off last year. I found 3 broken screws and the PO had rebedded both of the coamings with the evil silicone. I had to cut it all with a hacksaw blade between the coaming and the deck, then scraped & sanded the rest of that s#*% off. A couple of treatments with West teak cleaner & brightener and four coats of Cetol and they look pretty good. I left the winch bases in place and just lightly sanded them before useing the Cetol.

Pete
"Alli-Ann" Triton #53
Edgewood Yacht Club

Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.
Wernher von Braun
Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

My coaming boards were sealed with something resembling Boatlife teak polysulfide. Once the fasteners were removed, I had to gently break the seal by sliding a rigid putty knife down along side the boards. It wasn't hard or time-consuming and the boards came off in re-usable condition.

David