Bottom Stuff (bilge drain location, through hulls, repairs)

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
carterskemp
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Hali'a
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #345

Bottom Stuff (bilge drain location, through hulls, repairs)

Post by carterskemp »

Hi All,

i have recently purchases a Triton! hull #345, currently on the hard in Bristol, RI. (i grew up a block away from where the bristol tritons were made)
the boat seems in pretty fair shape. her main issue is that she hasn't been in the water since 2006. decks decent, usual blemishes here and there, and only one spot, about 12" in diameter, on the port deck that is soft. interior very clean, just needs a little sanding a painting here and there. hull looks pretty strong, topsides a little faded and flat, bottom in need of a full scrape and repaint.

so, i figured i would start my posts off with bottom questions. following are the pics and accompanying questions for you guys.

thank you all in advance,

carter

(just discovered that i can only post three images per post, so a couple of pics of the overall will follow)
Attachments
this is where the lead meets the fiberglass. simple fix? or indicative of bigger issues?
this is where the lead meets the fiberglass. simple fix? or indicative of bigger issues?
i have started to scrape, and have found the usual crazing of the gelcoat, which, thanks to multiple posting by our host, tim, i am not worried about. but, i did find this spot. simple little dish out and then fill?
i have started to scrape, and have found the usual crazing of the gelcoat, which, thanks to multiple posting by our host, tim, i am not worried about. but, i did find this spot. simple little dish out and then fill?
First question: the previous owner was having issues of water in the bilge and had this drain plug installed. is it in the right location? this is an exterior lead keel, and it seems to be hollow fiberglass aft of the lead, wouldn't that be a better location?
First question: the previous owner was having issues of water in the bilge and had this drain plug installed. is it in the right location? this is an exterior lead keel, and it seems to be hollow fiberglass aft of the lead, wouldn't that be a better location?
carterskemp

Re: Bottom Stuff (bilge drain location, through hulls, repairs)

Post by carterskemp »

a few pics of hull #345. which has no name at the moment. since these photos, i have taken the mast down, given her a full on scrubbing, removed and patched her lifeline stantions, removed and stripped her coaming and winch blocks, and am trying to setup an appointment to get her shrink-wrapped for the winter.
IMGP6933.jpg
IMGP6934.jpg
IMGP6928.jpg
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

That's a fine location for the plug. The false keel (area aft) is foam filled. It may be water-filled as well, but unless that's creating other issues for you, I wouldn't sweat it.

Yes, the first pic shows the joint between the ballast keel and the hull. It will move forever. No, it's not a real problem.
(yes, I laid a lot of heavy biax over mine and faired it all to a gnat's ass, but I'm a freak.)

Spend your efforts on the decks.
carterskemp

Post by carterskemp »

thanks!
i like hearing things that make less work and less worry.
my goal is to get her in the water next spring, not perfect. i want to get to know her sailing before i sacrifice an arm and a leg. so for now, deck goals are to deal with any leaks, hence the removal of stanchions. i figure that stanchions can stay off for now until i do a complete deck job in the coming years if that is what i find i want.

but i wouldn't mind having the bottom super well sorted out before she goes in.

carter