Triton Boom and Mast Manufacturer's?

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
TritonSailor
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: S/V Alcyone
Boat Type: 1960 Pearson Triton Hull #194

Triton Boom and Mast Manufacturer's?

Post by TritonSailor »

Hello Everyone,

Like a few other people on this forum, I like history. Specifically my boat history. I had wanted to know the manufacturer who had made the mast and boom on the Triton. I was led in the right direction when someone had mentioned RigRite on Rachel's masthead thread. I believe that the boom was manufactured by Kenyon Spars. The boom now named RR-4025 is manufactured now by Rig Rite. The boom and associated parts are located Here. I could be proved wrong, but hopefully I'm on the right track. Now as far as the mast is concerned, there are some listed on the site that are close, but I don't know enough to factor a guess. As it is now, the marina I got my Triton from has my rig shrink wrapped and put to bed for winter. Because of that, I don't have anything to go on to determine what resembles the mast the best. If anyone out there has information concerning the boom and the mast, I would appreciate it immensely. Thank you in advance

Jeff
Jeff
1960 Pearson Triton #194
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

At least some of the Triton spars were built by Zephyr Spars. Mast sections have changed a lot since 40 years ago, so you may not find your exact section anywhere at this point.

This is the typical Triton mast section that you'll likely find on your boat, given its hull number. The first 100 or so boats had a different spar, but this section below is found on most of the production, unless yours has been replaced at some point.

(not to scale)
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
David

Post by David »

Does the mast above have an externally attached track or is the track extruded as a part of the spar?
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Something to keep in mind when talking about Pearson history:

When Pearson started producing the Triton no one was building boats of that size on the scale that Pearson was. They were at the forefront of creating the large scale boat production model. One big issue Pearson had was that there wasn't a parts distribution system in place to provide them with the volume of materials they needed. They couldn't go to West Marine and order 100 turnbuckles. They ordered ten from one vendor and ten from another (as an example). This probably played a role in the rigging failures of several early production boats.

What this meant is that the actual materials and parts that made it into the Tritons varied a lot and identifying what is 'orignal' can be impossible to identify in some situations.

Speaking specifically of spars I can't say if they had a single supplier of spars or not. I would guess though that there may be more than one supplier that could be labeled as 'original'.

Just thought I would throw that out there.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
TritonSailor
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: S/V Alcyone
Boat Type: 1960 Pearson Triton Hull #194

Post by TritonSailor »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I second Dave's question. I tried figuring it out on Tim's site when he installed his sail track system, but since I don't know the definition of either one it made it difficult. :)

Thanks again.

Jeff
Jeff
1960 Pearson Triton #194
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

It's an external track.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating