No Cockpit Drains???

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
TritonSailor
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: S/V Alcyone
Boat Type: 1960 Pearson Triton Hull #194

No Cockpit Drains???

Post by TritonSailor »

Hi everyone,

It seems that my Triton comes with a shower and tub. Is that a Pearson upgrade? I have found no drains in the cockpit. Is that something that the owner did after the purchase of the boat or did Pearson forget to put them in? I really don't believe the first two, so it's got to be that the owner glassed over them...But why? Any ideas???

Thanks,

Jeff
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Weird.

The stock Triton cockpit sole pitches a bit forward, so the original drains were at the forward corners. Unless you change the pitch of the sole, this is where you should replace them.

Note that the sole is only just barely above the static waterline.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
TritonSailor

Post by TritonSailor »

More than likely I will be the only one in the cockpit. Will 250 lbs have water coming in? If so, besides seacocks, what can I do to deter that?

Thanks.

Jeff
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Inconceivable!!!

Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando

Post by Tim »

TritonSailor wrote:More than likely I will be the only one in the cockpit. Will 250 lbs have water coming in? If so, besides seacocks, what can I do to deter that?

Thanks.

Jeff
You'll only tend to get water in when you have a crowd in the cockpit--such as if Figment's motley crew just above shows up for cocktails.

One or two people, and the well stays dry. But install seacocks for hosting cocktail parties.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
TritonSailor

Post by TritonSailor »

Okay excuse my ignorance, but if I remember correctly, didn't Tim install cockpit drains with the seacocks draining out the bottom of the hull? Wouldn't you solve the problem by intalling the seacocks on the side of the hull or stern?

Thanks

Jeff
David

Post by David »

I’m sure others have already pointed this out, but the cockpit sole is so close to the waterline that enough weight in the stern will result in flooding over the cockpit drains. It doesn’t matter the location of seacocks and thru-hulls; the sole is not high enough to give you room to position thru-hulls above the waterline, and when underway they would likely be submerged anyway. Some boats cross their cockpit drain hoses (although I understand this doesn’t work on Tritons); but crossing them would only “work” when the boat is heeled, not when she is moored. The only solution is to either raise the level of the sole, or not be bothered with a bit of water in your cockpit at times.
jollyboat
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Jollyboat

Post by jollyboat »

Jeff,
I believe that I commented on the issue of your cockpit drains in one of the PM's that I sent to you. Would it be possible for you to take some pictures of the cockpit and under the cockpit so that we can all see what it is that you are dealing with. I have never, had water come up through my standing waterpipes, including when I have had several adults in the cockpit. As a rule I keep my Triton unburdened by extra weight in the ends so it possible that is why I have not seen water come up through my cockpit drains. In any case - please provide some pictures as this is very interesting thread.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
TritonSailor

Post by TritonSailor »

Yes Brian, I should be able to do that in the next couple days. I also want to take pictures of the chainplates for you to look at. Thanks Again.

Jeff
TritonSailor

Post by TritonSailor »

After taking tons of leaves out of the cockpit, I found 2 impressions in the forward cockpit. Upon closer examination it looks like the missing cockpit drains stuffed full with dirt and leaves! Looks like the hoses will need to be dumped out, there full of I don't know what.
Jeff
1960 Pearson Triton #194
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Huh? The drains were there all along but hidden under rotting leaves?
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
TritonSailor

Post by TritonSailor »

They were stuffed so much with stuff, that when you move snow away it looked like it followed the contours of the cockpit. Not until I got on my hands and knees throwing sand, dirt , leaves and snow out, plus disconnecting the drain hoses, could you see that there were drains there.

It's going to be fun!

Jeff
Jeff
1960 Pearson Triton #194