Strap Location for Haul Out

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
triton318
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Dove
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Strap Location for Haul Out

Post by triton318 »

I know there's information somewhere on this, but I searched here and on the tritonclass.org website and couldn't find it.

When you're having a Triton hauled out with a travel lift, where is the best location for the aft strap? You want to avoid having it under the false keel, right?

I've only had the boat hauled once, and if I remember correctly, the aft strap was under lead, just foreward of the false keel. But I think I've read that it can go under the counter, slipped between the top of the rudder and the hull.

I keep thinking that if the aft strap is under the keel, right before the false keel starts, then the block will have to be even farther forward. But, if you put the strap under the counter, then the aft block can be under the lead keel but as far aft as possible.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. (I've come too far to break something now, or have the boat fall out of the straps!)

Jay
Jay
Dove, Pearson Triton #318
Hayes, VA
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I block my Renegade under the keel in 2 locations. One of them is hollow inside. By putting in a drain plug I found the glass to be 3/4"-7/8" thick. This alone shouldn't be any criteria regarding Tritons, but I bet the Triton's "false" keel to be quite strong.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando

Post by Tim »

That's not a bet I would take. Triton "false keels" are notorious for being weak, thin, and poorly constructed in general; as with all things, the actual conditions vary from boat to boat. This thing is unlike any other construction in the Pearson repertoire (thankfully they seem to have learned their lesson). Until you know the condition of your own, assume it to be weak, and avoid blocking beneath it if you can. And plan on reinforcing it when you haul out so that you don't have to worry about this going forward.

If you have to lift the boat in a Travelift, it may be best to keep the strap at the very heel of the keel. Some people place the aft strap on the counter, but most yards think this is very odd and won't do it despite your admonitions. I don't see how you could lift with the aft strap as far forward as the end of the lead; there'd be too much boat behind it to properly balance. But the boat will sit nicely on two sets of blocking placed only beneath the lead, with the entire false keel hanging out in the air.

Some false keel photos:

This is what mine looked like (before I repaired and strengthened it):

This damage occurred to another boat when the boat hauler placed beams beneath the false keel to support it on a trailer:

This unique view highlights how flimsy some of the false keel construction can be.

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

I coulda gone my whole life without seeing that last picture...

Yikes!
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
gone2ddogs
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Silver Girl

Post by gone2ddogs »

This is how mine was lifted this spring.

John
Triton #15 Yawl
Silver Girl
danielguiod
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: HOKAHEY

Re: Strap Location for Haul Out

Post by danielguiod »

When we launched HOKAHEY in the spring. The straps were tied 6' 8" apart and it picked beautifully. The aft strap was just aft of the lead. This is still a very strong point for lifting, and you can block just forward of it on the lead. This puts the aft strap at the aft big portlight, and the forward strap at the aft little port.
When we pulled it out today, we had a different operator, bad attitude, and things didn't go so smoothly.
But, in the end it was OK.
My pics are too big for the forum, but I will email them if anyone wants them.
TritonSean
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Jenny Marie, #308
Boat Type: 1963 Pearson Triton

Re: Strap Location for Haul Out

Post by TritonSean »

this year the aft strap got up between the rudder and the keel. that was not fun !
no apparent damage though.
I like under the counter for the aft strap. seems to work.