Depth Sounder Location

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
tikvah59
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Emily Hope
Boat Type: Nimble 30' yawl

Depth Sounder Location

Post by tikvah59 »

Hi Folks,

I'd like to know where people have successfully mounted depth sounders inside the hull of a Triton. I own #59 built in 1959 or 1960.

I have a Uniden QT-206 which I temporarily mounted under the v-berth on the port side, just ahead of the bulkhead and as close to the centerline as the furniture would allow. That worked to a degree, but the readings tended to fluctuate wildly and were no good at all on a starboard tack.

I tried to build up a platform next to the center line just abaft the water tank. The sounder didn't work at all there, perhaps because the density of the platform was not the same as the hull.

Thanks for your help,

Mark
Emily Hope
Nimble 30' yawl
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I own #59 built in 1959 or 1960.
FWIW, both hull #'s 52 and 55 have been reported as being built in 1960. Some Tritons, as you probably know, were built out of sequence however.

As for the best location?... Mine was located aft at the aft end of the starboard settee. I never had a problem with it.

Mike (#78) has a pretty interesting installation up forward that I have never heard him talk about. I would be interested in what he has to say.

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

They make transducers now that aim at an angle from the face rather than square to it. If you estimate the angle from horizantal of the hull where you want it, you pick the model that closest meets that angle. This way you don't need a fairing block to correct the whole unit.

I use one and like it a lot.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

bcooke wrote: Mike (#78) has a pretty interesting installation up forward that I have never heard him talk about.

The interior was the fun part. the transducer I used has a short-ish stem, so I had to carve down into the meat of the keel to make a base for the collar to bear against.
Oh and then I had to cut, bevel, and splint the water tank outlet to dodge it around the transducer head.

Looking back on it now, it seems like I made it a lot more work than it had to be, but I confess a certain amount of perverse pride in having the fairest hull in the boatyard (including a 3 year old hunter!).