Alberg quote

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Alberg quote

Post by bcooke »

I was just perusing one of the Improvement Bulletins (1991) recently made available on the NETA website and I came across this quote. I thought it was rather funny but perhaps I haven't had enough sleep lately.
Bob Dobbins, #264 Revenge wrote: In retrospect I spent a lot of time, effort, and money on the wrong things. We all do. I, like so many others, kept adding, and modifying, and cluttering up the boat. A lot of it was due to ignorance and fear of radical change. It was when I met Carl Alberg a few years ago and he looked the[#264] boat over and we talked and I learned that the interior of these boats were designed by salesmen. (he referred to them as whores) who laid them out for weekend cruising for a family of 4 or 5. As he said, they are 1 or 2 person boats...
Like I said, maybe I should get some sleep :-)
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Look here son, if it's worked for 40 years, I don't know that you should be....

Heh, no, I'm in total agreement. Alberg's own boat probably would have suited him, as everyone's boat should suit themselves (although I suppose if one had a museum-quality classic wooden boat there might be some merit in the former philosophy).

I still think about creating a shop/head/stowage space in the forepeak, and then giving over the current head/locker space into settee territory, then using what is now the after ends of the settees for improved galley-age. Not that I'd jump in and do it on a whim, of course, or overlook the necessary structural support, but it could make for a very nice one-or-two person layout (for folks who would be comfortable giving up the "extra room" of the V-berth).

R.
triton318
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Dove
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by triton318 »

I would absolutely agree that for extended cruising, the Triton is a 1 or 2 person boat. However, for weekend trips and an occasional week-long cruise, it'll do a family of four or five perfectly fine. (It did for us.) But now, as I'm preparing it to take me around the world in four years, I'm making some modifications. The v-berth will never be used for sleeping.
Jay
Dove, Pearson Triton #318
Hayes, VA