What would a Triton cost today?

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

What would a Triton cost today?

Post by bcooke »

My understanding is that Tritons were built to be cheap and available to the masses. I was curious as to what 'cheap' really meant so I took the initial target price of $10,000 in 1959 and factored it for inflation to find out what the $10,000 dollar price then would have meant to someone today.

It turns out that the Triton sold for $67,345 in today's dollars. I suppose 'cheap' is still a pretty relative term. I know I don't have that kind of cash in my piggy bank but then I guess if I were looking for a similar new boat I would probably be looking at a much bigger price tag. Kudos to the Pearson cousins.

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Consider this- I'm a Macgregor sailboat dealer and we list the Macgregor 26 M for $21, 500 without an engine or jib, but with the trailer.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

the double post is because it told me I had a "403 Proxy Failure" so I reposted.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

bcooke wrote:It turns out that the Triton sold for $67,345 in today's dollars.
I'd say that is pretty reasonable for a quality sailboat. I've often wondered about the comparison myself, but I wouldn't know how to adjust the dollars. Glad to see you're putting your economics training to good use.

I don't know what actual "list" prices are, but for overall reference I found a 2007 Catalina 280 on Yachtworld for $83,795, and a 2007 Hunter 27 for $61,349. Obviously neither of these boats is particularly comparable to what a Triton is, or would have been in 1959, but it gives some sort of reference as to what might be considered inexpensive these days.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Glad to see you're putting your economics training to good use.
Actally, I Googled "inflation calculator" and the first link led me to a site where I simply inputed the price and date and it spit out the new number.

And if the fact that I bought a sailboat after graduation and then sunk my life's savings into it is any indication of the training I received, then I would have to seriously question the value of said training!

Oh well, it is all fun :-)

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog