Are Triton Berths Level Fore-Aft

This is the place for information specifically regarding the Pearson Triton.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

My excuse is a cash flow bottleneck. I scrounge up a sheet of plywood from time to time but my progress was seriously impacted when my backyard money tree was struck by lightning last spring. I am getting close to some drastic action which might push my project deadline back even further before it starts moving ahead again.

Prior to my last cruise I had amassed an eviable inventory of raw materials that I have been working through ever since. I jump around making a cut here, slathering a little epoxy there, working on whatever project I can that won't require grand larceny. I guess progress is being made but it is in little bits spread over many parts of the reconstruction.

At the moment I am trying to figure out how to best cover the V-berth in the most efficient method. Cutting the sections to fit should be interesting. When I get some paint down I will post some pictures.

-Britton
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

bcooke wrote:At the moment I am trying to figure out how to best cover the V-berth in the most efficient method. Cutting the sections to fit should be interesting.
Here's how I did it in the daysailor project.

http://www.tritondaysailor.com/rebuildi ... rior4a.htm
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Hey thanks Tim, I completely forgot that you had that posted on the daysailor site.

I am amazed that you got both halves out of a single sheet of plywood. I am going to run over there right now with some cardboard I had been saving for just such an occasion.

-Britton
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

bcooke wrote: I am amazed that you got both halves out of a single sheet of plywood.
Your results may vary. It depends on the cutout you have, if any. The daysailor had a pretty decent-sized cutout.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

I don't mean to hijack the thread; just provide a little more info for the next guy/gal...

One sheet of plywood does cover the standard Triton V-berth. I lowered the bow end about three inches but otherwise it is a stock installation and had no problem getting it out of one sheet. You just have to take care of the seam down the middle afterwards.

When I positioned my V-berth platform supports down the sides I took a point up forward and a point aft and glued a 1 inch x 3/4 inch piece of wood between them (and then tabbed over it of course). I checked for level and it looked okay but I have since found a small discrepency. Because of the curvature of the hull the center portion of the support dips about 1/2 of an inch. Certainly not enough to be noticeable to the eye or posterior but annoying after spending so much time checking and double checking. Had I made my straps with the bottom edge straight and the top edge slightly curved to compensate for the slight discrepency I would be really pleased with myself.

-Britton