Stepping your own mast, launching your own boat

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
sscoll
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Medora Jane
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #532 E.C.

Stepping your own mast, launching your own boat

Post by sscoll »

Ray Alsup and Dan McNeil posted methods they have used for stepping their own masts. Dan goes on to launch his own Triton from a boat ramp. Anybody know where he's gotten off to? My address for him came back empty and I'm hoping to get his help designing a "link" so I can make my truck further from my boat trailer in the hopes of launching it myself without throwing the whole business into the drink. Anyone else launch their own boat similar to a Triton?

Steve
Carl-A259
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Romper
Boat Type: Pearson Triton hull705

Re: Stepping your own mast, launching your own boat

Post by Carl-A259 »

If you're talking about a tongue extension for your trailer, that a pretty easy project to complete. Or are you talking about a dolly type setup with a line to your tow truck? Stepping your own mast isn't too difficult , check out youtube for some great video on this, if you can't find it, I have a link for one somewhere. Involves a 2x4 bipod and some line.
Carl-A259
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Romper
Boat Type: Pearson Triton hull705

Post by Carl-A259 »

Search for "dropping the mast" on youtube. This is the best vid I've seen on this and it works for raising and lowering. Or go to; Catalina27.org I tried to link but for some reason I can't.
sscoll
Master Varnisher

Post by sscoll »

Thanks Carl. I am talking about a tongue extension and since Dan has done this I thought I'd ask him how long his is. There's good information about both his set up and Ray's in the MIR pages. I'm also interested in the specs of his trailer, i.e. how low it is, stuff like that. Thanks hey...
Tallystick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Nostalgia
Boat Type: Pearson Triton Yawl

Post by Tallystick »

I'll be launching my Triton by lowering the trailer down a long ramp using a tow strap.

Got a 1/4" thick heavy stainless hinge from McMaster and welded on stainless plates that fit over the mast step and hinge support base, with the hinge screwed into the base of the mast using 6 countersunk 1/4" screws. Mast will be raised by the mizzen halyard and using the shrouds for lateral support. Mizzen can be stepped by hand.
sscoll
Master Varnisher

Post by sscoll »

Sounds great,,,, I want a mizzen.....and an electric winch,,,,, and a cheeseburger.
Take pictures and post them when you do this thing, eh?