It's an ill wind ...

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

It's an ill wind ...

Post by Skipper599 »

So we had a bit of a blow around the local coastline late last week (Thursday) resulting in a couple of boats anchored off the beach being blown ashore - they were featured in the local TV newscast.
- - - Here's what appeared on the local CL "Boats" section on Monday: -

Copy & paste:

**FREE** 28ft wooden sailboat (Sunset Beach, Vancouver)

I've got a sailboat that I'm giving away to the right person.

Here is the situation. I'm leaving town for 2 weeks wednesday morning. My boat washed ashore in the big wind storm. My plan was to fix it up and sell it as a good liveaboard. Its seaworthy, and the hull is sound.

28ft
Vberth
Quarter birth portside
Running Lights
It has a full set of sails, Main, Genoa, Jib.
VHF Radio
Head
9.9hp Mercury Outboard
Wooden Stove
BBQ

The deal is, you get it for free but have to get it back in the water and tow it somewhere to dock. The anchor rode snapped in the wind so now she is with out the main anchor and chain. The Coast Guard removed the gas tank for the engine (2stroke), so the motor will not run.

Needs immediately:
Gas tank (2stroke)
Main anchor and chain (I used a 12lb danforth and it held in the wind, but the rode snapped)
Reply to this ad with any questions.
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2704238348

. . . As well, there was a picture of the boat stranded on the beach. I'm wondering what he did about the boat if the "right" person did not respond to his ad? After all, it was rather short notice if he was leaving town two days later. Obviously there is a cost to anyone taking on the challenge of rescuing it from its current situation and, boat salvage can certainly get expensive.
As well, we are just now experiencing the start of the cold season with temps down in the low single digits and I can't imagine too many folks wanting to be down on the beach getting all wet and cold, even there is a "free" boat in the bargain.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: It's an ill wind ...

Post by Rachel »

Aw, I just hate to see a boat up on the beach :(

It would be great if the right person gets connected with it. Otherwise, I imagine there must be some sort of responsibility laws in BC, so the owner may have to either deal with it or pay someone to?

I wonder how easily salvageable it is. I suppose a lot depends on the local infrastructure/tides/access, and how good the boat was before it went ashore. It may have been fantastic or may have been on its last legs already. Hard to tell from 8kb.

Here is the boat:
sunset beach boat.jpg
sunset beach boat.jpg (5.6 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

Thanks for adding the picture Rachel, I didn't know how to do that myself. As for "responsibility laws," - hopefully we have such protection from those who would just walk from a problem boat, but I've never asked because I would never think of abandoning a beached boat.

My suggestion woud be for the local parks board to haul it further up beach, set it in the sand to the waterline, and then allow kids to use it as a play site - after safety issues have been addressed.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Skipper599 wrote:Thanks for adding the picture Rachel, I didn't know how to do that myself.
You are welcome. I'll explain how.

Actually, there are two basic ways.

1) One is to just create a link to the original photo. That's the quickest and simplest but it has a weakness: Once the photo is no longer on Craigslist, the link won't work. So in future no-one here would be able to see it. (But sometimes this is a fine choice, such as when you are linking to a website that you expect to continue to host the image long-term CL is not one of those places.)

2) The other way is to upload a photo that you have stored right on your computer. I chose this way because I know that the Craigslist photo will be short-lived on the actual web. So here is what I did. It's not complicated:

A) Save the photo to your hard drive.

i) Hover your mouse over the photo, right click, and from the pop-up mini-menu choose whatever command looks like "Save image" and click on it (I'm on a Mac, and the numbers favor you using Windows, so the command may not be exactly the same but there should be something obviously similar).

ii) Your usual image saving window should pop up and you can name it and save it somewhere on your hard drive. Since something like this is not something I'm aiming to add to my "permanent collection," I just named it "Sunset beach boat.jpg" and saved it to "Desktop." My goal was just a quick way to find it again. Since CL images are tiny, I had no worries about the file size and just saved it as-was. Now you can move on to part B) which is getting an image from your hard drive to a forum post.

B) Get the (or any) image from your hard drive (your computer) to one of your forum posts.

i) You open up a reply window, just like you do to make any reply to a thread. Type whatever you want in, such as "Here is that photo from the CL posting" and then scroll down below the text box by a few inches. You will see this:
photo window 1.jpg
Once you click on "Browse..." you will get the usual window you have on your computer when you are looking for files. I can't remember what it is called on Windows, but I think you will recognize it as something you use pretty often. You will navigate in your actual computer through this window and find the file you just saved in Step 1. For me this was "Sunset beach boat.jpg" in my "Desktop" area. Once you find it, click on it to select it and then click "Open" or whatever your usual default button is at the lower right of your window that means "Yup, do this." I would post a screen shot here, but if you are on Windows it won't look exactly the same. Once you do that, there will automatically be a string of words and slashes in that white blank area to the left of "Browse..."

Then you just click "Add the file" (You can see that in the photo above, just under "Browse..."). Once you click "Add the file" the computer will do its thing for a few moments, a small window will open and then close (all by itself), and, presuming the image size is not too large (and a CL photo will not be), it will return you to your "I'm composing a message" window. The one where you were typing "Here is the photo from that CL ad."

ii) Now you just go down to the bottom of this composing-a-message screen, and you will see this:
photo window 2.jpg
Click "Place inline" and it will put a string of characters in your message, like so:
photo window 3.jpg
That string represents the image, and you can leave it where it is, or move it around as a unit within your post that you are composing.

Once you think you are all set, click Preview (instead of Submit) and you will see how your massage is going to look. That way you can catch it if there is a problem.

I hope this helps! If you open this post up in one tab, and then a new reply in another tab, you can refer to the steps as you go. Or you could print this out. If you come across any mistakes or confusing bits in my series of instructions, just let me know and we can try to figure out where I went wrong.

Rachel
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

Thanks so much for the highly descriptive and educational tutorial Rachel. I'll have to try that just to see if I have absorbed the information provided.

As you can tell, 'putering is definitely NOT my forte, but I try. Even so, one of my many grandsons boldly informed me recently that I'm way ahead of many others in my age group when it comes to using the computer and the internet ...
Bob T.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

triton318
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Dove
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by triton318 »

Someone should make Rachel's tutorial one of those "sticky" posts (if these forum supports that), so it's always there to refer to.
Jay
Dove, Pearson Triton #318
Hayes, VA