sweat

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
margitchris
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Moonshadow
Boat Type: Seafarer 31 yawl

sweat

Post by margitchris »

There are some people who can work outside here in north Florida and stay relatively dry, but I am not one of them. Even at rest in the shade I can begin to drip in a matter of minutes. Yesterday, while spraying finish primer on my deck, I probably spent as much time mopping up the sweat as spraying. I had tied a towel aroung my head anticipating trouble, but that was only part of it. The respirator would get wet and drip from my chin. I quickly soaked the long sleeved shirt I was wearing and water would run down my arm onto the spray gun and drip off the spray head. I stopped after one coat and moved to the topsides.
In sanding bottom paint at the beginning of the summer, I wore a coverall, respirator, gloves, goggles, and a balkava made of a T shirt. Regular soaking was a matter of course. At one point in the process I reached down to pick up something off the ground and was amazed when a stream of sweat trickled ot of my sleeve. It's funny because I don't recall getting so wet when I spent all those hours sanding and grinding the deck. It must be that the tool's cooling fan did some cooling for me also.
I keep thinking it's a matter of acclamation; that if air conditioning weren't so prevalent I would adjust. After all, people lived here before there was electricity. They evidently got along. As a child I would run around outside all day and my mother would beg me to come indoors in the heat of the day. But it seems the older I get, the worse it gets. I'LL rest and hand sand today, then go at the deck again tomorrow. In the meantime I'll try to come up with a better strategy.

Chris Miller
Seafarer 31 YAWL
The Froon
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Re: sweat

Post by The Froon »

Chris:

Hey, I feel your pain...or should I say humidity! I am in Jacksonville, and dealing with losing pounds through perspiration. Late last summer, I began grinding off the years upon years of bottom paint on a late model Sea Sprite 23 (#217)...in full tyvek!!! Yeah, I was soaked when I emerged from those through-away suits.

Brian
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I could certainly loose some pounds.

Last evening was the first this season in which I poured sweat into the FD as I filed and sanded fillets under the frames. I wonder, does salt affect later applications of epoxy? Or varnish? I'm getting close to ready for the second coat-out of the interior; how am I gonna' keep it dry? Latex paint would not be so bad.

No doubt acclimitization is key, not to mention age and attitude; this past couple of weeks were the first of real summer heat and humidity here in Philly. Felt like 10 degrees worse. Sunday mornings' NOAA stating that Dover (DE) had: Temperature 77 degrees; Dew Point 77 degrees; Relative Humidity 99.9% tells it all. The day went on to dump some 4.5" of rain in a couple hours in Philly.
Oscar
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Post by Oscar »

Sorry nothing personal, just cant help myself....

acclimatization
Out there, alone, there is only truth.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

You have to be canny to tell the difference between good honest misspelling and bad typing, and you'd never guess how many times I tried a variation; they all looked wrong. Still dripping in Philly.

But Hey! 85 of 88 fillets done as of 7:30 last night. As General Haig said, 'There's light at the end of the tunnel.'
heartofgold
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by heartofgold »

As General Haig said, 'There's light at the end of the tunnel.'
I thought he said "I am in charge here"? Anyway, sailboats don't do well in tunnels.
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen
Triton 53
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Alli-Ann
Boat Type: Triton

Post by Triton 53 »

'There's light at the end of the tunnel.'

That is the headlight of an on-comming train.
"Alli-Ann" Triton #53
Edgewood Yacht Club

Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.
Wernher von Braun
Oscar
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Post by Oscar »

you'd never guess how many times I tried a variation; they all looked wrong
I know the feeling, but I have a very helpful tool. My browser puts a red dotted line under the word until I get it right. If I can't make it go away I resort to the dictionary (also on my computer). It has helped me purge some persistent mistakes from my repertoire.
Out there, alone, there is only truth.